Author Topic: 3E rule violation  (Read 2384 times)

CyberSpyder

3E rule violation
« on: September 05, 2003, 09:41:50 PM »
I noticed this with Aerie on Version 34 of IWG II, and I suspect it is not limited to her. Aerie is an Abjurer, and the school of Illusion is one of her prohibited schools of magic. The scrolls are dimmed, but can still be written into her mage book and cast with no problem.

jaded

3E rule violation
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2003, 01:59:29 PM »
Why is Aerie an Abjurer??? Shouldn't she be a regular mage/cleric

jaded

3E rule violation
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2003, 03:12:03 PM »
And Illusion is not a prohibited school for Abjurists in BG2. Only alteration magic (Transmutation school).

CyberSpyder

3E rule violation
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2003, 03:46:50 PM »
Abjurers cannot, under the 3E rule set, learn or cast spells from the schools of Illussion or Transmutation. This is true of 3E, though perhaps 3.5 has a change to this rule. It is doubtful though.

SuperPia

3E rule violation
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2003, 04:05:02 PM »

Only a commentary on 3e rules:

"To become an abjurer, a wizard must select her prohibited school or schools from the following choices: (1) either Conjuration, Enchantment, Evocation, Illusion, or Transmutation; or (2) both Divination and Necromancy."
- Players Handbook

The spell restrictions on IWD2 are too severe, comparing tho the P&P 3e Rules.
The fixed restrictions usualy different and you lose too much.

For exemple, to become a Diviner in P&P 3e, the weakest specialization (not the worst), a wizard must select any single school as a prohibited school, in IWD2 the prohibited school for diviner is Conjuration, one of the most powerful.

jaded

3E rule violation
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2003, 06:10:07 AM »
I disagree though, the "weakness" of the diviner class depend fully on your playing style. I've never liked the conjuration spells. Accept for Melfs Acid Arrow, flame arrow and the better power words. The creatures you can summon are (in bg2) useless after SOA and then everyone gets to summon the planetars. The diviner is actually my favourite class when I go for a wizard.

jaded

3E rule violation
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2003, 06:11:56 AM »
But back to my original question: Why is Aerie an Abjurer?

SuperPia

3E rule violation
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2003, 07:12:45 AM »
There was some discussions on NPCs some time ago.

Some discussion concerning Aerie's specialization and other NPCs can be found here:
Obsolete URL removed

I think there is some more threats on this, but I don't remember now.

I disagree though, the "weakness" of the diviner class depend fully on your playing style. I've never liked the conjuration spells. Accept for Melfs Acid Arrow, flame arrow and the better power words. The creatures you can summon are (in bg2) useless after SOA and then everyone gets to summon the planetars. The diviner is actually my favourite class when I go for a wizard.
I don't like conjuration spells either, only the spells you cited above.
I only said, in pen-and-paper D&D 3e, more powerful schools (ike Evocation and Conjuration) have more severe penalties than weaker schools (like Dination, Necromancy and Illusion). I'm not saying divination isn't a good specialization, especialy becouse you can chose any single school as a prohibited school.
I'm playing an extremly powerful Illusionist!  :P

I think the prohibited schools for IWD2 specializations are too strange and most of them are too severe.

Sorry for the extense answer, but I wanted to clarify my pint.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2005, 11:14:26 AM by jcompton »

CyberSpyder

3E rule violation
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2003, 09:01:24 AM »
Hey, I appreciateb the input, but the question still remains: If Aerie is to remain an Abjurer, then what ever class is chosen based on 3E rules to be her restricted class should in fact be restricted, right? I mean, a specialty mage that can cast every school is a bit off balanced and is no longer 3e d&d.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: