Author Topic: Improved Mindflayers  (Read 1049 times)

kinneer

Improved Mindflayers
« on: August 28, 2003, 02:40:42 AM »
Hi all,

I have been playing the tactics mod and have questions on the improved Mindflayers.

They have an attack which can kill my characters immediately but the dialog does not show what attack it was. All I know is one second there are there and the next they are dead. It cannot be int drain because there were no flayers nearby and their int were still high, 10+. It can't be a kill or death spell because it has happened to chars with 60+ hp. So what the heck is it ? It is frustrating enough with their new attacks that they now have an immediate kill which they can use while still remaing invisible.

On the question of invisibility, only when they melee do they reveal themselves. Since they can attack with spells while staying invisible, why just have them stay like that and not use int drain ? And of course use more of that unknown instant kill spell as well.

Rastor

Improved Mindflayers
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2003, 07:08:55 AM »
Did you try using True Sight?

Since they can attack with spells while staying invisible, why just have them stay like that and not use int drain ? And of course use more of that unknown instant kill spell as well.

1.  It'll be fairly easy to cheese them.
2.  Players will get frustrated.

Schatten

Improved Mindflayers
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2003, 10:51:30 AM »
Do you read the message box? Read it carefully it must be there. one of my chars in a game died to a "ballistic attack" from one of those halfling wizards in the planar sphere. perhaps the mindflyers have something like that.

kinneer

Improved Mindflayers
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2003, 11:13:41 AM »
In reply #2

The thing was whether it was legit for them to remain invisible after an attack.  Thieves comes out of the shadow after an attack. Mages loses part of their invisible also. They can be attacked with weapons but not spells. Yet flayers does not. Surely this is a big advantage where they can just remain invisible, throwing their range attack. TS will reveal them but they can return back to invisibility.

In reply #3

Yes, I did check the message box. There were nothing in there to reveal what the attack was. I know it is not a ballastic attack because I have not seen one that do that much damage and secondly, only that char dies. The others did not take any damage at all. I can recall seeing any spell animation either though I am 100% sure of this.

Schatten

Improved Mindflayers
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2003, 01:05:30 PM »
its psionic_ballistic. this attack is a spell that does 12d6 damage.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: