Author Topic: Reporting Bugs  (Read 10686 times)

japheth

Reporting Bugs
« on: August 19, 2003, 09:54:20 PM »
Okay.  First off, let me tell you all I appreciate the fact that you are all testing this (because I really hate testing), however, I'm going to post some guidelines for posting bugs.

These aren't hard and fast rules, but, if you follow them loosely, it will help me *a lot* when it comes to figuring out what is wrong and trying to fix it.

Okay, on with the guidlines:

1) First, make sure you're installing it correctly.  Read this thread for instructions.

2) If it's possible, keep your subject as short and to the point as possible.  (e.g. If Durlag's Tower is crashing, just put Durlag's Tower as the Topic Title and in the Topic Description maybe "Area crashes" or something.)

3) In the body of your message, give as much detail as possible.  Did it crash to the desktop?  Did it leave a message?  (e.g. Invalid pointer in chitin.cpp or something.) Also, if possible, try giving me the resource name of the resouce in question if you can.  (I realize not everyone can do this.)

4) Please only post one bug per thread.  If you have 5 bugs, make 5 threads.

5) If you don't know BG1 very well, grab Dan Simpson's walkthrough off gamefaqs.com.  This will help you submit well formed bug reports because you'll know what to expect if person X isn't appearing in area Y.  Here's the link to the walkthrough page:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/ga...game/22816.html

6) If you think you know the solution, throw that in the bug report as well.  Anything that will help us solve the bug faster is a definite plus.

7) Turn off 3D Acceleration in BGConfig before you report about green water. :)  There *may* be some more areas that have "blocky" tis blocks showing, and this is not due to 3D Acceleration, so you can consider those legitimate bugs.

8) Skim over the Bugs forum and the Solved Bugs forum before reporting your bug.  There's a pretty good chance it's already been reported, or reported and solved.

9) Check for a new version everyday in the Workroom forum.  When reporting bugs, let me know which version of BG1Tutu you were using when the bug occured.

And well, that's about all I can think of for now.  Again, I'm not trying to be Stalin here, but this will help get this baby out the door so to speak.

japh
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 01:36:43 PM by jcompton »