Author Topic: Solaufein and other mod questions  (Read 1300 times)

GetCool

Solaufein and other mod questions
« on: June 03, 2003, 08:28:04 PM »
Hi,

It's been a while since I last played through BG2 (unmodded), and now I am downloading a bunch of mods to spice up my second time through.  Since I am pretty new to the whole BG2 mod scene, I have several questions.  First, I am interested in what the Solaufein mod has to offer - I am not really interested in the NPC (from what I hear he is great, but I have a party of official NPCs pretty much lined up and I wouldn't really have a place for him), but moreso the other stuff it adds.  I hear it makes some of the encounters tougher and adds more tactical elements... is this correct?  What differs between this mod and the Tactics mod?

Also, since the site seems to be down (just my luck that it happens right when I want to start playing), I was wondering if someone could send me the latest Tactics mod (v14).  I have v13 and it is small (~600KB), so I figure this is easily doable if anyone would be so kind.  I would like to get my hands on the Solaufein mod as well, but I am assuming it will be a much larger file than the Tactics mod and may or may not be easily transferable.  If someone could fill me in on this it would be great.

As long as I am on the subject, these are the mods I plan to use:

Ascension
Redemption
Oversight
Tactics
Solaufein (if it adds anything more that Tactics doesn't offer)
Improved Battles
NPC Flirt Pack
Improved Battles

If anyone has any advice on the plausibility and/or wisdom of using this mod configuration, I would very much like to hear it.  Additionally, if you have any further mod recommendations that would be great, too.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2003, 09:19:43 PM »
Back in the old days, the Solaufein mod had a kit and a bunch of new tactical encounters in it. Then Wes figured out that this made the "Solaufein" name kind of misleading and set up a separate mod for all the kits and tactical encounters and called it "Tactics."

Note that Solaufein, as part of his story, DOES still have a few tactical challenges in there, but that means taking the character and the story.

You mod lineup looks fine, but double-check with the Improved Battles people to see if they know of any compatibility problems.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

GetCool

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2003, 09:55:20 PM »
Back in the old days, the Solaufein mod had a kit and a bunch of new tactical encounters in it. Then Wes figured out that this made the "Solaufein" name kind of misleading and set up a separate mod for all the kits and tactical encounters and called it "Tactics."

Note that Solaufein, as part of his story, DOES still have a few tactical challenges in there, but that means taking the character and the story.

You mod lineup looks fine, but double-check with the Improved Battles people to see if they know of any compatibility problems.
Okay, thanks for the clarification and feedback.  That makes more sense now.

I would still like to obtain the Tactics mod v14 if anybody has it on hand and can quickly e-mail it to me.  I would be most appreciative.

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 04:58:18 AM »
I think you should reconsider taking Solaufein with you as well. He is one of the best-written NPC's I've seen for this game, romanceable or not. Also, the Sola-specific challanges are fun and you can get Boo-Two as well.

GetCool

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 08:33:41 AM »
I think you should reconsider taking Solaufein with you as well. He is one of the best-written NPC's I've seen for this game, romanceable or not. Also, the Sola-specific challanges are fun and you can get Boo-Two as well.
Hmmm... damn it, now you've got me reconsidering my party again... I thought I had it all worked out.  Hah!

The trouble is, there are still some official NPCs I never got to know that I want to include in my party... I'd like to play through the game with everybody, but... damn it... I've been pondering who all my party members will be for too long now :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I'll definitely consider it now.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: