Author Topic: Solaufein URL Change  (Read 8261 times)

Kiki

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2003, 11:17:31 AM »
Aubrey, did you ever finish your opinion piece on Solaufein?

Aubrey

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2003, 03:48:31 PM »
No, Kiki, I didn't. There were some problems in analysing a few parts of his character which seemed to contradict each other, and after that I had had a lot of work for a very long time. I have still the notes kept at the time when we were discussing his character, and just yesterday I was thinking that sometime I should really work on them. Two things are needed though: spare time from my part, and Weimer's a kind of full stop at some point.  

Recently, when I downloaded the latest version, I realised that Solaufein has changed, advanced to a more stable, mature character. Even his relation with PC seemed to me a lot more serious than before.

Anyway. I loved the "shut up and kiss me" part. If I recall correctly it was your idea, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 03:49:52 PM by Aubrey »

Kiki

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2003, 05:08:02 PM »
Two things are needed though: spare time from my part, and Weimer's a kind of full stop at some point.
I don't think Wes has added anything to Sola in quite some time. This may be a "full stop." As for spare time ... we could all use some more of that. :)

Anyway, you should finish it. It would be fun to read.

I realised that Solaufein has changed, advanced to a more stable, mature character. Even his relation with PC seemed to me a lot more serious than before.
Really? In what way? I thought most of the additions in, say, the last year had to do with quest interjections.

I loved the "shut up and kiss me" part. If I recall correctly it was your idea, wasn't it?
Yes, I did suggest it, because that dialogue made my head hurt. Solaufein must freelance for the Educational Testing Services people.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2003, 05:09:06 PM by Kiki »

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2003, 05:57:57 PM »
I just got back from Santa Cruz. Further bulletins as events warrant (although I leave for PLDI in two days).

I actually expect the current WeiDU.org to fail to work out -- don't be surprised if it stops serving information and instead says "bandwidth exceeded".  

Alex IV

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2003, 08:09:26 PM »
How much transfer did you use?

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2003, 11:07:17 PM »
Did? Do?

Normal operation, downloading .EXE and .ZIP files (e.g., Solaufein, Ascension, WeiDU) takes about 250 MB / day. My vastly inefficient index.html file and its huge array of images takes about 250 MB / day as well, but that could be lowered.  

Aubrey

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2003, 02:45:27 AM »
Quote from: Aubrey,Jun 6 2003, 01:48 PM

I realised that Solaufein has changed, advanced to a more stable, mature character. Even his relation with PC seemed to me a lot more serious than before.
Really? In what way? I thought most of the additions in, say, the last year had to do with quest interjections.

Mmm... hard to tell. Maybe it is just my idea after all this time. Recently I played ToB, but now I'm going through the whole game once again. Perhaps I could give a satisfactory answer after finishing it.

The last version I had played was 70 something, if it means anything to you. In that version, for example, there was no line of Solaufein in ToB, before PC decides what to do with Bhaal essence, or PC's dialogue option to turn him down whanever he/she likes.

The Bible

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2003, 10:09:42 AM »
Er, Wes? When I try to go to the site, a 'security certificate' warning pops up, and if I click to proceed, it sends me to a page with links for a site and user administrator to log in. Also changes the url to: https://www.weidu.org:19638/webhost/rollout/site

Alex IV

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2003, 10:24:45 PM »
Did? Do?

Normal operation, downloading .EXE and .ZIP files (e.g., Solaufein, Ascension, WeiDU) takes about 250 MB / day. My vastly inefficient index.html file and its huge array of images takes about 250 MB / day as well, but that could be lowered.
Okay, I took a quick look around.  Estimating around 250 MB of downloads and 150-200 MB of images every day (properly handled), you'd be around 13.5 gigs.

I took a quick look around some of the hosting companies that I've worked with in the past and didn't see anything cheaper than 45-50$/month for shared space.  For dedicated servers, the best I could find ran at 100 even.  If you'd like me to do a more thorough search and try to find some better packages, I could.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2003, 12:43:45 AM »
You've worked for some pretty expensive hosts, then. TQHosting and Dreamhost both beat that price soundly.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2003, 04:10:17 AM »
Thanks to generous friends at http://sorcerers.net , Weimerland is back in action at:

http://sorcerers.net/~weimer

It should work now if you try it. As before, I didn't move the archive or the picture gallery over.

Hopefully Jason (master of the newly-minted WeiDU domain name) can set it up to point to the right place so that http://weidu.org just works.

Unfortunately, our generous friends support themselves using popup ads, so presumably this site will have them at some point. If that becomes untenable, my other choices is to ask for donations. Jason assures me that $30/mo would suffice. Personally, I would put asking for money as a last resort ... but if people get really annoyed at the ads (let me know via email or by posting here) I'll consider it.

Gaah, I'm looking forward to having this webhosting crisis resolved.  

Taluntain

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2003, 04:17:01 AM »
$30 would do and you wouldn't need to display any pop-ups. I know they're annoying, so if you have an option at an alternative, I'll gladly take that instead. SP unfortunately costs me way more than is coming in with the donations, so I have no choice but to run pop-ups which are the only form of advertising which brings any money in for us...

Alex IV

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2003, 11:20:15 AM »
You've worked for some pretty expensive hosts, then. TQHosting and Dreamhost both beat that price soundly.
I can assure you that the places I work with are only of the highest caliber.  

Personally, I've never worked with TQHosting or Dreamhost.  When I took a look at their pages, their prices were very good, admittedly beating the prices of the firms I have worked with.  However, I'd like to take a look around and make some calls before deciding whether their service is any good.

As for pop-ups on sorcerers.net, I just went paroosing through there and didn't get a one.

Taluntain

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2003, 12:32:21 PM »
He didn't put any pop-up code up yet at ~weimer, but he'd get the same popups as on Sorcerer's Place or RPG Codex.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2003, 05:00:16 PM »
We should have popups now on the non-trivial pages.

I also tried to make the index.html page a bit more spartan. If anyone out there actually cares and has a cooler suggestion (since this one is tepid at best), send me the HTML and I'll compare.

My first update in the new world (updated WeiDU and iwg2) was quite annoying -- for some reason I cannot SCP from my laptop to sorcerer's net hosts directly, although I can SSH there (and they're basically the same program!). Sigh.

Anyway, I'm off to PLDI.  

Taluntain

Solaufein URL Change
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2003, 01:05:17 PM »
Well, if you can read mail where you're going we can handle SCP and rid you of this annoyance. If not, I guess FTP will have to do until you get back.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: