Author Topic: Animations  (Read 6905 times)

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Animations
« on: April 13, 2003, 07:31:37 PM »
This is a reply to Hitman and Andyr in another thread.

I should have made this a little clearer, but here's what I mean by "You can ask for animation changes but I can't do it ...":

Don't bother asking for animation changes unless you can also submit code or exact instructions that implement them. That is, if you can say "Hey, here is how to get Bodhi's avatar into IWD2, just copy these three resources and then flip this bit here ...", then I'll do it.  If you cannot tell me how to implement your proposed animation change (or convince someone else to tell me how to do it) there is little point in asking. Sure, I wish I could bring over all of the BG2 avatars too. But I don't know how. Sorry.  :-(

Hitman

Animations
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2003, 03:01:42 AM »
i'll animate you!! *shakes fist*

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Animations
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2003, 07:55:57 AM »
Ah, I see. I'll have a browse online and see if I can come up with any ideas.....  B)  
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Riklaunim

Animations
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2003, 05:59:20 PM »
Ask someone from TeamBG maybe?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
Animations
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2003, 01:25:53 PM »
I've been looking on TeamBG's site, have come up with a few links on the forums. These might be some help. I'll have a proper read of them later and see which ones could be useful.

http://www.teambg.net/forum/?board=22;acti...id=1375;start=0

http://www.teambg.net/forum/?board=22;acti...id=5009;start=0

Um, those were the most promising ones.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2003, 06:24:42 AM by Andyr »
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Animations
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 10:34:40 AM »
Maybe the creator of the shadow keeper and the dale keeper II could help too?

mykul

Animations
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 03:50:52 PM »
That's a good point.  Wes, have you asked any of these guys in your travels for a little assistance in that area?  The whole BIS gaming faction seems (atleast on the surface) to be pretty cooperative when it comes to mods.....

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
Animations
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2003, 04:26:14 PM »
I will post on the BIS forums and ask.

Cuv

Animations
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2003, 12:20:17 PM »
I'll see what I can do for you on this subject, but hopefully someone else will do it too as my time is limited.   The animations are essential to a conversion.

First will have to examine the animate.ids and see which animations arent being used in IWDII to replace them.  Once two empty slots are found, it will be a simple matter to import them.   You will also need to go through the BG2 spell.ids and remake all of the Irenicus and Bhodi spells for IWDII that are specific to them... some may not be transferrable.

Cuv

Cuv

Animations
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2003, 03:34:58 PM »
I did some experimenting with this with bad results.

I imported the Irenicus animations into IWDII but they didnt actually show up.   There is already a slot in the IWDII Animate.ids at 0x7F37 JON_IRENICUS... but that slot is broken or not linked properly.    I managed to get the animation to work without crashing by overwriting another... but his avatar was invisible and could not move.   Hope this info helps

Cuv

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Animations
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2003, 04:45:18 PM »
Cuv, thank you for trying that out.

I should have mentioned that I have already tried that experiment with every animation referenced in BG2-SoA. The vast majority of them give the "unmoving, invisible circle" result. The few that did work are converted over by IWG2.

The main problem seems to be that there are two kinds of animations: those that end in *WK and those that do not. IWD2 doesn't seem to like the *WK animations that much.  

Cuv

Animations
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2003, 04:58:36 PM »
Hey, no problem.   I will keep trying things as I have time.   I think this is a worthy project... but it wouldnt be as good without ole Jon Irenicus:P

I also noticed that IWDII doesnt use an ANISND.ids which links the animation bams in BG2.   IWDII uses also a file called Animate.src that also contains the hexes for Jon-boy at the proper linkage... so I dont really understand why it wont work.   You should be able to simply port him right into IWG, but that isnt the case.

// CGAMEANIMATIONTYPE_JON_IRENICUS
0x7F37=NIREG11

For those that might have some ideas, here are the bams for JON_IRENICUS in BG2

NIREG1.bam
NIREG2.bam
NIREG11.bam
NIREG12.bam
NIREG13.bam
NIREG14.bam
NIREG15.bam
NIREG21.bam
NIREG22.bam
NIREG23.bam
NIREG24.bam
NIREG25.bam
NIREG26.bam

Cuv
« Last Edit: April 28, 2003, 05:04:14 PM by Cuv »

Chilvence

Animations
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2003, 05:30:51 PM »
There are quite a few IWD2 monsters that arent ever gonna be used in BG2. Could we not simply replace them?

It wouldnt necessarily have to mess with IWD2 on its own, according to this post on TeamBG

http://www.teambg.net/forum/?board=24;acti...y;threadid=7303

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Animations
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2003, 03:36:13 PM »
*.SRC files are not actually read by the IWD2 engine. They were just text/help files used by the World Builder (their IE editing GUI). The actual "hex-value -] BAM name" table is hard-coded in the binary.

The problem with just overwriting the IWD2 animations is again the magic format. The animations that we want to bring over (like Jon Irenicus) are mostly in the *WK format. IWD2 doesn't really have any *WK "slots" that we could throw things in.  

Chilvence

Animations
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2003, 08:14:34 AM »
If all else fails, we could always rip the animations out frame by frame and build a new bam set from the actual pictures.

Theres plenty of IWD1 specific animations that are floating about to do this, eg if you manually created a new bam for Behlifet_Priest based on Jon's sprites then no one would see the difference. Unless the number of sprite rotations is different...

Obviously its less important at the moment so I wont ask for an automatic converter (yet ;)) But I'll try it later in bamworkshop or something and see how it goes. There are plenty of empty slots to put all the main characters in if it works out ok. Ive only tested the Belhifet boss animation ATM but it works alright with all the anims in place. Heres how I am thinking to do it;

Belhifet_Priest = Jonny
Wailing_Virgin = Bohdi
Seer = Elesime
Arundel = Drizzt
Wight_2 [unused]= Elminster (is he actually in SOA anywhere?)

There are about 10-15 more unused animations left over from IWD; they would be a nice place to put missing monster animations.

Caswallon

Animations
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2003, 01:46:06 PM »
Elminster makes an appearance in the Jaheira quests.

Hitman

Animations
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2003, 05:33:37 PM »
he's also in that weird dream-spellhold place (1st dream) and the 2-imp quest (the drow tooth)
well, his avatar is anyways.  

Hitman

Animations
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2003, 09:52:12 PM »
i say sticky this

Chilvence

Animations
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2003, 03:05:03 AM »
Well I quite easily managed to get Ellesime walking about as a replacement for the seer, thats about as much as I could be bothered to to with BAMworkshop. Its simple but tedious...

The animations need to be ripped out from each file, every other rotation has to be deleted and then they must be put back together with IWD's naming system, but it's something at least.

Avenger_teambg

Animations
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2003, 10:42:12 AM »
If this could be automated, then Wes surely will do it.

Chilvence

Animations
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2003, 05:18:15 PM »

Wes, do you think this bodge-it way is the way to go?

Sorschana

Animations
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2003, 07:33:35 PM »
Ignorant suggestion: I would (as a non-coding, no investment, no right to speak up really sort of girl) like to propose that, where possible, the unique IWD2 avatars be left alone.

Why, you say? Because I have visions (probably insane ones) of some kind of ultimate BG/IWD hybrid being achieved in which people can mod to their hearts' content and have access to all of the spiffy-keen animations, from gibberlings to remorhaz to Sherincal, developed in the course of the IE's lifetime.

I realize this probably isn't practical, but make the comment as a pipe dream anyway.

- S

Animations
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2003, 01:35:16 AM »
i say leave sherincal and marae and stuff, but take out the generic monsters.  well, the ones needed anyways.  we don't really need beetles or yetis, plus there are only a few main avatars in BG2 that need to be put in

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
Animations
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2003, 07:01:22 AM »
You'd have to be careful exactly what you take out:

As you said yetis aren't in BG2 but they do appear in IWG2, as a result of summon monster spells. I guess that's because of the use of the IWD2 spell set. I'm not sure what other unexpected things you can get though.

Chilvence

Animations
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2003, 01:41:43 PM »
Neither IWD2 nor BG2 have any use for the avatars for the seer, behlhifet, arundel etc. Thats why theyre such convenient slots. Some IWD2 monsters could possibly be trampled on for more space (the new goblins? etc) but there are quite a few unused slots which are just relics... I dont think anyone can be bothered to find out which particular monsters are never summoned in IWD2 either. I cant :)

The number of free animation slots is hardcoded. The only place you can actually add new anims is in these types of scenarios; Where a slot has been created for a creature by Black Isle and then left derelict. In a sense, we basically have to squat on empty space :)

If your looking for a future "Ulimate Infinity Engine EX 3 + alpha 2 turbo!!!" then youve got to look for people who are willing to write a clone from the ground up :(. But hey, at least we share the same dream :)

If only I could...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: