Author Topic: de'Arnise Romance FAQ  (Read 31628 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
de'Arnise Romance FAQ
« on: April 01, 2004, 08:32:01 PM »
 de'Arnise Romance FAQ (work in progress, check for updates as things change)

Q: Are you really working hard on this, or hardly working?

A: Working hard.

Q: So, what's going to be in the de'Arnise Romance?

A: Broadly speaking, a close relationship with Nalia. Specifically, we will be add a romance track, romance conflicts with Aerie, Jaheira, and Viconia, a Bodhi abduction, Tree of Life sequence... and whatever else we happen to think of.

Q: What types of characters can romance Nalia?

A: Humans, elves, half-elves, and dwarves (yes, dwarves) of any class/stat combo.

Q: What are you going to do about the Keep? Will it be a required portion of the romance?

A: It will become possible to convince Nalia to put you in charge of the Keep, regardless of your PC's class. The Keep is very dear to Nalia and taking good care of it is a crucial element to winning her heart. The keep will NOT count against the one-stronghold limit, so multiclassed fighters or non-fighters will still have access to their normal stronghold.

Q: Isn't that TOTALLY UNFAIR TO FIGHTERS?

A: Fighters/monks won't just be going through the same old Keep, we will add some management challenges and perk up the combats.

If your question somehow implies that it is "unfair" that fighter/monk types get "ripped off" because other classes suddenly have access to their stronghold--boo hoo.

Q: What about the current Roenall plot? Will there be more with Isaea? He does vow that "this is not over"...

A: The existing Isaea events will still play out, although Nalia will have more to say about them. Much of the romance will unfold AFTER you rescue Nalia from him: that's how she knows she's important to you. Count on a return appearance, however.

Q: Hey, wait a second? Isn't there already a Nalia Romance?

A: Yes, there is, written by Arnel. Arnel and I obviously share some similar interests. In the early stages of working on Kelsey, I (rather optimistically) looked ahead to my "next project" and thought a romance for Nalia would be nice. There seemed such obvious launchpoints for closeness... being with her when she discovers her father's dead body, rescuing her from Isaea... but Bioware stuck with their obsession with romantic elven priestesses.

If you enjoy playing Arnel's Nalia, great. But I think there's another story to be told.

Q: Will there be voicing?

A: Yes, we will replace Nalia's entire voice set with a new one for consistency's sake.

Q: Will there be flirting, like Kelsey and the Bioware NPC Flirt Packs?

A: Of course.

Q: Can there be a wedding?

A: Perhaps, consider it "likely."

Q: Will it require TOB?

A: We'll probably do what we did with Kelsey: an SOA component first which should work with straight SOA (and hopefully a Mac port), plus a TOB component later.

Q: Will there be a way to "corrupt" Nalia? Make her hate poor people, act like a complete cast-iron cruel bitch?

A: This is a good idea, and I think there's a lot of potential to develop Nalia's character in that direction, but I don't think it's going to happen in this project. Certainly not for initial release.

Q: Are you going to change Nalia's stats/character details?

A: I admit to being tempted to change Naila to a swashbuckler/mage, given the type of thievery she seemed to "specialize" in, but ultimately determined that it wouldn't really add much to the project.

Q: How about the portrait?

A: There are a number of attractive alternative Nalia portraits but we won't change the default setting. We will either put up a portrait gallery or bundle a few alternate sets with the install.

Q: I've read your Nalia dialogue in the Kelsey mod and the Banter Packs and the samples of this romance you've posted, and I think you don't understand what Nalia's like at all.

A: That isn't a question.

Q: Will there be multiple language support?

A: We'll build it from the ground up for translation-readiness. Whether translators choose to participate is of course another matter.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:52:01 PM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: de'Arnise Romance FAQ
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 04:33:14 PM »
Q: I'm interested in translating. How big is it?

A: We haven't formally traified it yet, but it is roughly 4200 lines/276k of .tra text.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: de'Arnise Romance FAQ
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:16:44 PM »
Q: Why did you forget to credit Bons for that nice new area she made for you? Are you some sort of ingrate or something?

A: :(((((((((((((((