Author Topic: Major reputation loss  (Read 9754 times)

T.G.Maestro

Major reputation loss
« on: April 09, 2003, 03:18:05 AM »
I wonder if it is necessary to lose 4 Rep. point per Hunter, when they come for Valen. Somehow this seems to be a littlew too much. Maybe 1/head should suffice?  

Major reputation loss
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 04:13:25 AM »
In another thread Wes answered this. Essentially, by backing Valen you are taking a major step towards evil. As the crippled reputation system is really the only way to represent this, it does so in a massive way.

Kish

Major reputation loss
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 04:38:35 AM »
Why would vampire hunters cost less reputation than ordinary innocents?

You're not supposed to be able to maintain a good reputation with Valen.  Last time I checked the ReadMe (which was back on version one or something, so this may have changed) it stated baldly that you should expect to spend at least some time at Reputation 1 if you took Valen.

T.G.Maestro

Major reputation loss
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2003, 05:22:35 AM »
Ok, this sounds reasonable. However I wouldn't call them "innocents" at all. This way many-many other opponents in the game should cause a Reputation loss. But they don't.  

Kish

Major reputation loss
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2003, 01:56:12 PM »
Ok, this sounds reasonable. However I wouldn't call them "innocents" at all. This way many-many other opponents in the game should cause a Reputation loss. But they don't.
I suspect we would disagree on precisely which ones should (even setting aside my impression that you don't think any should), but maybe not.  In any event, it's not like no one who puts up a fight is coded as an Innocent--Drizzt is, and I believe his companions are as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 03:08:06 PM by Kish »

Tancred

Major reputation loss
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 08:55:13 PM »
In fighting the Vampire Hunters, you become 'that evil scumbag who kills to protect vampires'. That's one HELL of a reputation to have.

T.G.Maestro

Major reputation loss
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2003, 11:25:40 AM »
Right, it has merit. I agree with you.

Will

Re: Major reputation loss
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2008, 04:26:51 AM »
While I understand the reasoning behind the reputation hits that Valen forces throughout the game, I'm finding the loss from the vampire hiunters hard to stomach because it forces Haer'Dalis to leave.  As there are only 3 evil npcs in the game (until Sarevok shows up in ToB), it seems a little harsh that one of my party should feel compelled to leave, leaving me a man down.  Fair enough if it was Keldorn or Anomen, but Haer'Dalis is the closest I could get to another evil character.  I was hoping that if I bought some reputation at a church, I might be able to pick him up again at the Five Flagons, but unfortunately not.  

Perhaps some modifications to the scripts of Haer'Dalis and Jan (who also tends to get dragged along with evil parties) is in order to prevent this form happening?  

Otherwise the only way out of this that I can see is to dump him immediately before the fight, batter Van Helsing and co, an pick him up after I've bumped my rep up again.  Can't say I'm too excited about fighting them again though.

Silencer150

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:37 AM »
If you tell the hunters to go ahead and kill Valen while you stand aside, they never become hostile towards your party, and will only attack Valen.  This way, you'll never see those devas (which was good for me since I have the PnP Celestials mod) and they won't start slinging spells all over the place.  Valen doesn't get mad if you say this, BTW.  If you have Valen run and hide behind a door, as per the cheese tactic, the hunters will chase after her and begin humping the door.  Now you can patiently remove your non-evil members, beat up the hunters at your leisure, loot them, bribe a temple to get your rep back up, and have them join again.

An easier way is to install the Happy Party component of the BG2 Tweaks mod.

Saintspirit

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 01:51:59 PM »
Defending yourself or others, no matter how evil they are, should never result in a reputation loss. Only evil actions should be punished this way.

You align yourself with Valen, when you accept her as part of your group. So only taking her into your group should result in reputation loss - as it is with Viconia.

When you have Valen in your group and act neutral, there is no reason for hunting her down, only because she is a vampire, which is really racist. Defending her in this case should be considered righteous.
When you act evil, you already lose reputation through the evil acts themselves. Which only then would justify the appearing of hunters. But this is already handled by the game, because you'll get attacked by paladins and mages, if your reputation is too low.

The reputation loss of this mod, because you defend Valen, is absolutely illogical.
We are not the aggressors.

Peace out.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: