Author Topic: Voicing for Sola?  (Read 16425 times)

Xero

Voicing for Sola?
« on: April 08, 2003, 01:27:36 PM »
:unsure: I'm sure this has been brought up before...but since i'm new and haven't seen anything about it,i thought i'd bring it up.
is a sola voice gonna be implemented? if so,who and when?
thank you :D  

Athena

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2003, 01:33:59 PM »
This might be better off in the Sola Mod forum...in this forum, we're mostly working on the flirt pack, and new banters and interjections. :)

Still, to answer your question: Wes has been considering having voicing done for Sola, and there is a lot of support for the idea, but I don't think much progress has been made.

thecursed

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2003, 02:07:53 PM »
he'd have two different voices then?

Athena

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2003, 02:09:25 PM »
I'm not sure...probably all the lines would be re-voiced for continuity, but I don't know.

kozand

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2003, 04:40:24 PM »
Shameless self promotion!

Although I ain't native speaker my prononciation is considered very good by native speakers including Aussie's, englishmen and americans. My turkish accent is apparent however it would make for a nice accent for Sola's common.

But I am sure there are many talented native speakers in the world and I really don't think it is possible over the net. *sighs*

What I speak is a combination of standart UK (%40), US (%30) english mixed with atlantan (%20) and new yorker (%10).

thecursed

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2003, 05:05:04 PM »

What I speak is a combination of standart UK (%40), US (%30) english mixed with atlantan (%20) and new yorker (%10).
that can't sound good

Athena

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2003, 05:22:03 PM »
*shrugs* Like I said, I have no idea where the project stands. If you want to try voicing Sola, Kozand, you'll need to get in touch with Wes. :)

thecursed

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2003, 05:23:51 PM »
go for it. i'll be able to say "hey i know that guy, we used to chat"

Userunfriendly

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2003, 07:18:58 PM »
just my two cents...i personally would rather NOT have voiceing for sola mod at ALL...

this allows the download to remain less than 1 meg, and unlike the other voiced mods, like imoen romance, or the totally absurd 20 meg kelsey....besides, i always evaluate programs from a unix background...smaller is always better, and best of all is an app that does one thing well, rather than a lot of things mediocre quality...

now comes the flaming...toasty!!!

Sphira

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2003, 09:04:28 PM »
I like Solaufein's original voice. However I wouldn't mind having 'text' of what he could say.  

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2003, 11:00:47 PM »
this allows the download to remain less than 1 meg, and unlike the other voiced mods, like imoen romance, or the totally absurd 20 meg kelsey....besides, i always evaluate programs from a unix background...smaller is always better, and best of all is an app that does one thing well, rather than a lot of things mediocre quality...

If/when Solaufein has voicing I'm sure you can count on Wes to distribute it as a separate pack, like the IU audio is.

As for the rest... love you too, man.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Userunfriendly

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2003, 12:50:07 AM »
"As for the rest... love you too, man."

i was not commenting on the quality of the voicing or the mod...there are somethings i like about kelsey, and some things i dont...and thats simply my opinion...and please dont take it as a critism....i am continually astonished by the amount of output of forgotten wars project and the kelsey team....and the frequent patching and i personally am seriously looking foward to the nalia romance, and i have said that on forgotten wars projects...

"smaller is always better, and best of all is an app that does one thing well, rather than a lot of things mediocre quality..."

i was simply making a point that any app with a lot of components is bound to have some components where less work was done than in other components.  thats just a natural part of the development process, and unavoidable...due to time constraints, you are always going to have parts of a large app where certain features will be much more heavily developed than other features...where the team decides to concentrate on one feature or component, thus other features and components receive less attention as a result....

and quite frankly, i did NOT have any intention of insulting you or your mod, and to prove it, i will tell you kelsey is in my hard drive right now,  the latest version, and kelsey tob, since i felt they were worth the long download time, as i have a dialup...

so i have indeed voted, with my download....i have always appreciated the kelsey development team, who have spent long unpaid hours to make a really complex, and very highly refined mod like kelsey, simply for us, the players to enjoy and appreciate, and i think i have made my appreciation clear in other posts.

oh no, i got chairman kaga mad....

well, i guess i will be taken out to the back alley of the iron mod stadium, and be beaten with five and a quarter inch floppy diskettes....sigh...

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2003, 01:30:23 AM »
i personally am seriously looking foward to the nalia romance, and i have said that on forgotten wars projects...
I'm glad to hear that but the size is likely to be just as "absurd," since I hope to be able to get Blue to do about the same depth of voicing for Nalia that I did for Kelsey, which is to say, a lot.

"smaller is always better, and best of all is an app that does one thing well, rather than a lot of things mediocre quality..."
i was simply making a point that any app with a lot of components is bound to have some components where less work was done than in other components.

Well, in this case it's really not all that relevant since Solaufein is largely a fixed quantity. I realize that what's going on here is a hope/attempt to expand him, but it's not like someone adding voice to Solaufein will undo the work of 96 versions. If/when someone lays down some audio, they may be good or not, but it won't change anything else that you already think the mod does well.

i did NOT have any intention of insulting you or your mod, and to prove it, i will tell you kelsey is in my hard drive right now,  the latest version, and kelsey tob, since i felt they were worth the long download time, as i have a dialup...
i was simply making a point that any app with a lot of components is bound to have some components where less work was done than in other components.

Well, I appreciate that, but as Kelsey is the only published pure NPC mod with significant amounts of voice acting, you'll forgive me if I couldn't help but think the "absurd" and "mediocre" tags were being applied. :)

5 1/4" floppies don't do much beating. I guess a guy like Tony Jay could do some serious damage with them, but aside from that...
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2003, 01:32:00 AM »
As for the original premise, yes, Wes has said he's looking into it (see main Solaufein forum.) I'll repeat that I think it would be a very ambitious undertaking with a very high bar for the performer, simply because the mod character is so established in people's minds already.

Kozan: There's no reason you couldn't put together a voice pack communicating with someone online, if you so chose.

kozand

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2003, 03:20:07 AM »
Really Jason? Well I shall tell Wes okay. Since reading and voicing a text is much much simpler than speaking freely! Thanks  for the encouragement. :)

And Cursed One thanks for nothing!   ;) -kidding.

Actually all americans I chat online tell me they understand me easly, despite sound degradation over the net and say I have a nice accent so if I am mistaken I do in the name of them.  :D
« Last Edit: April 09, 2003, 03:21:48 AM by kozand »

thecursed

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2003, 03:34:53 AM »
as long as you don't switch accents in mid sentence like a teacher i used to have, its cool!

kozand

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2003, 04:15:31 PM »
I do that rarely.  :)  

Michel

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2003, 11:39:18 PM »
I could be a good Sola voice O.o

I'll make him sing his text in a bard like style

thecursed

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2003, 05:27:52 PM »
not you again!

Tsuru

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2003, 08:23:25 PM »
Michel is our proverbial bad penny, Cursed ;)

thecursed

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2003, 10:34:26 AM »
no kidding!

Michel

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2003, 11:20:30 AM »
If my presence bothers you so much then ignore my posts. If it bothers you that I think Sola should be a Bard then ignore my posts. If you can't say anything else then spamming oneliners then ignore my posts.

thecursed

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2003, 04:30:05 PM »
i appologize if i have offended you.  

Michel

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2003, 07:54:51 AM »
i appologize if i have offended you.
Not needed. I think we got carried away a bit more then usual. :)

Aubrey

Voicing for Sola?
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2003, 04:38:49 PM »
I don't know whose voice was used for "I do what I must, know this well..." and the battle cry, "For the honour of the Fighters Guild!" but I would be really disappointed if Solaufein, at some point, was to come up with a different voice.  

As Jason very wisely pointed out, Solaufein is already a fixed "character" in players mind. And these players can be disappointed more easily than one could assume.  

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: