Author Topic: Epilogue Ideas  (Read 34171 times)

Sphira

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2003, 12:44:26 PM »
Well, your comment impsired me cursed. ;)

thecursed

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2003, 01:03:12 PM »
glad to be of service my lady.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2003, 01:03:24 PM by thecursed »

Sphira

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2003, 06:56:24 PM »
Hrm... how about this idea for Solaufein's gift to the PC:

Moonbar or Moonstone + Gold Ring + Sola baringing a bit of vitality (temp Con reduction or level drain?) with Cespenator = :wub:'s Ring (with +2 AC protection)  

The token ring's picture/image could be a recolored ring of protection or perhaps a jazzed up angel skin ring?  

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2003, 07:20:52 PM »
hmmm...i think spira is really on to something, here, folks...

i mean sola is a romance, right???

purr..purr...

so why oh why did wes NEVER include a love gift like jahiera locket???

i mean the oversight is glaring, and its only when spira put the idea within paw's reach that we all realize the oversight...

meow, rowl...

say a ring useable once a day that casts like protection from evil, stoneskin, chant, bless, luck for 10 rounds???

a ring that casts standard combat buffs at one shot...

with dialog like...

sola: here is a symbol of my love...and its darned useful too...

pc: a ring of multiple protections...you want me safe and sound in combat...how sweet...(spira type gushing and weak knee reaction to follow...)

much much more useful than the wedding ring or jahiera locket...

Sphira

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2003, 08:04:43 PM »
Sola's gotta put that 18 intellegence to good use.

Normally I'd say money to help create the ring, but the most annoying thing to hear from a boyfriend is...

Ex-Boyfriend: Uh, honey, can I borrow money to get you a wedding ring?  :D
Girlfriend:  [_[  

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2003, 08:15:18 PM »
Sola's gotta put that 18 intellegence to good use.

Normally I'd say money to help create the ring, but the most annoying thing to hear from a boyfriend is...

Ex-Boyfriend: Uh, honey, can I borrow money to get you a wedding ring?  :D
Girlfriend:  <_<
 :blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :huh:  :huh:  [_[

hope that never ever happened to you hon, in real life...i mean what a complete loser that would be....

its right up there with...

sally: so were on this date, and he reaches over, pulls out one of my hairs, and starts flossing his teeth with it...

(when harry met sally)

yeah...it should definately be made using stuff that sola provides...like one of his precious books on poetry, maybe...or like in the jahiera quest, sola leaves the party, adventures for several days, and comes back with the ring...

thecursed

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2003, 05:01:17 PM »
the gift idea is very good. and it should be something worth having out of the bag of holding, thats for sure. but it should'nt be an mulet of power, and having it upgraded by the imp is wrong in my opinion....

Sphira

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2003, 05:38:16 PM »
It depends when you have time to get a ring. I don't think anyone in ToB would have the time or desire to make a ring except Cespenaor. The protection thing was just a little suggestion because a gift should have some sort of fuction on BGII. In SoA, I suppose their's a place we could get a ring at, but not for 'free'.  

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2003, 06:35:53 PM »
"say a ring useable once a day that casts like protection from evil, stoneskin, chant, bless, luck for 10 rounds???"

what do you think of this one??? i mean the ring of protection has been done, and quite frankly, imho, with the combination ring of regen and protection in item upgrade, no one is likely to bother with a simple ring of protection +2...

but a ring that casts common personal, or say a party protection once per day simply by activating the ring would be something that would make people sit up and take notice...

a protection from evil 10ft radius, chant and bless ring useable once a day would be something really really cool...

about the getting the gift, i think that the idea of sola sacrificing one of his precious surfacer poetry books is entirely appropriate..

if you read the books that came with him in his inventory, you see something about how he risked death by a very horrible way to keep his books, and i can see sola considering those books to be one of his most precious possessions...

ya like???

Caetlyn

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2003, 11:16:50 PM »
I like the book idea.  Since he treasures them so much, it would be far more meaningful, at least to him, to give one of the books.  (The pc would be touched to be given something so personal)

Sphira

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2003, 11:29:38 PM »
That would be a good idea.  

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2003, 03:20:50 AM »
"the gift of the poet...."

this plain and simple ring, made by cromwell from a ring of protection +2 and one of the most precious possessions of a poet was given to charname by solafein as a symbol of his love...solafein for many many years, treasured deeply a book of surface poems that he aquired for a very great cost and sacrifice from a drow who had participated in surface raids....he would spend many a long hour reading the fire-bright imagery of rimbaud and other great poets of the surface, dreaming of seeing the wonders and lights of the surface world...the book was a treasured companion and friend, and it listened to many a long and heartfelt prayer to lady elestree, and gently gathered up his secret tears and listened to the secret hopes of his heart...and solafein risked a dreadful fate if his friend should ever fall into the hands of the matron mothers, for the mere possession of his friend meant a horrible and cruel death...

but solafein, like all true poets, know that at some point, mere words were not enough, and he gladly gave the book up to cromwell, so that the hopes and longings the book had gathered in its dusty pages could finally be fufilled...

the book served as a catalyst and reagent for mighty magics, and like all true sacrifices fused disparate elements into grand and terrible magics...the simple ring of protection, already an object of power, now with the soul of a poet became a mighty talisman of protection...

cast on use....may be used once per day...

bless on party
protection from evil 10 foot radius
chant on party
remove fear on party
defensive harmony on party...

protections last 12 rounds...

you guys like????

:D  :P  ;)  

Tsuru

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2003, 03:30:29 AM »
Aww... UU, you have the soul of a romantic. I love it :)

Kish

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2003, 03:34:07 AM »
The protection thing was just a little suggestion because a gift should have some sort of fuction on BGII.
Commentary from the peanut gallery...

Personally--and I know this is an unpopular position to take--I like it much better when quests and quest rewards are kept separate from romances, and I would find something very cool about a ring which did absolutely nothing except symbolize Solaufein and CHARNAME's love.

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2003, 03:48:38 AM »
"Aww... UU, you have the soul of a romantic. I love it "

ssshhhhh......dont spread that out loud...people might find out...;)  :D  :rolleyes:

"Personally--and I know this is an unpopular position to take--I like it much better when quests and quest rewards are kept separate from romances, and I would find something very cool about a ring which did absolutely nothing except symbolize Solaufein and CHARNAME's love. "

yeah, but then it kinda becomes a bummer...you get this nice ring or amulet from your girlfriend, and it just basically sits in your inventory....much better to get a really nice item, that you will actually use a lot, and keep equipped, rather than sitting in a gem bag or bag of holding, just taking up space...and everytime you run your cursor over it, you can read the description again and get that warm toasty feeling..

hey, that warm toasty feeling, its because i propped up my feet too close to the fire!!!  my boots are on fire!!! jahiera, douse my feet with that pitcher of water!!!  

ok, emergency over...anyway, i was simply saying that jahiera's locket just sits in my gem bag doing squat, i would much rather have a powerful magic item with a sentimental description that the player can simply read once in a while, and it should be powerful enough to keep perminently equipped so ya just open up the description by right click... ;)  

hlidskialf

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2003, 03:58:11 AM »
Or at least the option to upgrade it sometime in the future? That way the sentimental ones among us get rewarded down the road. ;)

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2003, 04:50:30 AM »
well, the original idea by someone was to use a ring of protection +2, now the item upgrade mod already allows you to turn all your rings of protection +2 into rings of protection+regeneration, so you never really have to make the gift of the poet ring at all..

i guess you mean something like...

the book can be made into the ring, but you must upgrade the ring later sacrificing a powerful magic item to get the protection ability...

hmmm....a bit much, imho...though i am thinking besides sola's book of poems,  and a ring of protection +2, add something else...like a cloak of shield....

but i personally am against the ring with no powers and a ring upgrade with powers, since that means i have to write up two descriptions...hhehehehheh...

Blackmamuth

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2003, 05:14:18 AM »
nice Ring UU has in mind; what about:

Sola Ring: +1 to all saves
                 regeneration 1 point each 10 seconds
                 +1 to AC
                 +5% magic resistance

not Terribly overpowered; but a nice Ring Instead...  

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2003, 05:24:03 AM »

bless on party
chant on party
remove fear on party

well, what i wanted was a ring with a unique power, not too overpowering, only lasts for 12 rounds, but unlike any other magical item in the game...now the ring will combo cast all the standard party buffs that people generally use in one single step...thats useful, and unique...

maybe should change duration to 6 turns???

so instead of a party needing a cleric and having the cleric cast about 5 spells, before a major battle, boring, boring, you just activate the ring and go fight!!!

sure, your cleric can totally duplicate the abilities of the ring, but the ring is meant to be a handy shortcut, thus not too powerful, but damned convient, and useful....

and notice the spells are party wide, instead of only one person...

now the powers in the ring you just posted can easily be duplicated by wearing a ring of protection and robe of good/neutral/evil archmagi....

Blackmamuth

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2003, 05:51:22 AM »
Yep, i Agree with You, Add something like magic resistance, regeneration or something like that that would make the ring Worthy of wearing the Ring all the Time... The actual Ring would be like the Ring of the Ram, you would use it only once per day, you would unequip it, and get the other Ring in place (protection, Kangaxx...)

hope you understand my point...

adding something like a slow Regeneration, or a Save bonus, or even a little magic resistence, would make the Ring worthy of Being Always eqquiped.  

Caetlyn

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2003, 09:27:53 AM »
"the gift of the poet...."

this plain and simple ring, made by cromwell from a ring of protection +2 and one of the most precious possessions of a poet was given to charname by solafein as a symbol of his love...solafein for many many years, treasured deeply a book of surface poems that he aquired for a very great cost and sacrifice from a drow who had participated in surface raids....he would spend many a long hour reading the fire-bright imagery of rimbaud and other great poets of the surface, dreaming of seeing the wonders and lights of the surface world...the book was a treasured companion and friend, and it listened to many a long and heartfelt prayer to lady elestree, and gently gathered up his secret tears and listened to the secret hopes of his heart...and solafein risked a dreadful fate if his friend should ever fall into the hands of the matron mothers, for the mere possession of his friend meant a horrible and cruel death...

but solafein, like all true poets, know that at some point, mere words were not enough, and he gladly gave the book up to cromwell, so that the hopes and longings the book had gathered in its dusty pages could finally be fufilled...

the book served as a catalyst and reagent for mighty magics, and like all true sacrifices fused disparate elements into grand and terrible magics...the simple ring of protection, already an object of power, now with the soul of a poet became a mighty talisman of protection...

bless on party
chant on party
remove fear on party

you guys like????

:D  :P  ;)
I like!  That is the perfect compromise, I think at least.

thecursed

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2003, 09:32:34 AM »
this may be hard to implement but what the heck: how about a ring that strenghtens as you go through flirts? since its powered by solas love for the PC (as i see it). it should only protect the PC.

Athena

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #47 on: April 07, 2003, 07:06:40 PM »
That sounds like a cool idea.

Userunfriendly

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #48 on: April 07, 2003, 07:24:23 PM »
Yep, i Agree with You, Add something like magic resistance, regeneration or something like that that would make the ring Worthy of wearing the Ring all the Time... The actual Ring would be like the Ring of the Ram, you would use it only once per day, you would unequip it, and get the other Ring in place (protection, Kangaxx...)

hope you understand my point...

adding something like a slow Regeneration, or a Save bonus, or even a little magic resistence, would make the Ring worthy of Being Always eqquiped.
blackmamuth, the ring of gaxx has got

high speed regeneration
magic resistance (5%)
+2 to all saves and armor bonus...

so not to be mean or anything, with the ring of gaxx already in the ring, the ring you are describing looks pretty cheap in comoarison with slow regen...

"this may be hard to implement but what the heck: how about a ring that strenghtens as you go through flirts? since its powered by solas love for the PC (as i see it). it should only protect the PC. "

not hard to implement, just a lot of work.. you basically have to make about 3-5 itm files, and of course write up a slightly different description at every stage...

but

if lovetalk]10, upgrade non magical "gift of the poet"  to cast bless once a day...

if lovetalk] 14,  upgrade "gift of the poet" to cast protection from evil 10' radius once a day...

see???  you would have to make a itm file and edit the descriptions at each stage, and right a script to remove the item from party inventory and replace it with the next stage higher ring...

a fairly large bit of work...you can even use the modified moonray script, so the ring will only upgrade if you are out at night...

of course, at this point, ya gotta think...thats an aweful lot of work for a good item, not a super item like the moonblade...

so if this item is going to be this much of a major item, make the protections last 10 full turns...

and  equipped abilities
firkam free action....
+2 to saves and armor class
protection from evil perminent...

its actually a very very intriguing idea....

well, who owns the original idea??? i was going to submit to wes the description and the basic idea of the self upgrade depending on lovetalk values....if the person who originally came up with the idea for the ring wants to be the one to submit to wes, thats perfectly fine...

Caswallon

Epilogue Ideas
« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2003, 08:00:59 PM »
The "cast once per day" thing seems to me the best compromise between Kish's position (that I favour, too) and the thought that an item without gameplay use would disappear into the bag of holding right away for all but the most fervent roleplayers.

Regarding the duration of the spells, one should keep in mind that in most cases, a party will fight only one major fight per day where it would use the ring. A duration of 10 turns for the spells therefore comes near to a constant effect. IMHO, the spells should be timed in a way that they have a chance to wear off during a major fight.
Maybe one could also restrict the effects on the wearer (hopefully, that'll be Charname).

Solaufein already gets a *very* strong item/ability during the course of his romance, and that comes from a god. It'd be somewhat strange if he throws around similar items himself.

And one last point, strictly IMHO: Ring of Gaxx, Crom Faeyr, Vecna, Cloak of Mirroring and all the other über-items in the game are unique and a class of their own. They should remain that, without adding more and more powerful items that match or even surpass those. There are people who shun mods because of overpowered items and abilities, and the attractive thing about Solaufein should be his personality, not the items he comes with. There's IU for that.

Making the ring, creating a copy of it, adding a power, creating a copy... etc. and then building the replacement code into 3 or 4 lovetalks doesn't seem an awful lot of work to me.

Cas

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: