Author Topic: Kudos  (Read 3829 times)

Dark Artemis

Kudos
« on: March 11, 2003, 10:50:29 PM »
After some time away from SoA I recently began playing again, and since I wasn't going to go anywhere without Solaufein I downloaded the latest mod (V. 95) Wow! The dialogue and overall writing are wonderful! You guys have done amazing job of creating incredible depth, complexity and intensity in Sola's character and his relationship with the PC. I just experienced the campfire conversation; this and others have moved me quite deeply. I recently was in a relationship that included considerable pain as well as passion, and I have to say that those of you responsible for the writing of the Solaufein mod really know what it is all about.. and through Solaufein's character you convey what seems to be an acutely personal understanding of perhaps the most profound of all human experiences.

T.G.Maestro

Kudos
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2003, 09:36:59 AM »
Yep.

If only there would be a voice acting for Solaufein... then the mod would be perfect.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Kudos
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2003, 12:20:22 PM »
It has long been my belief that Wes will publish voice acting for Solaufein when--and only when--someone throws an audio-tagged .tra and a bunch of clips at him and says HERE, WEIMER, PUT THESE OUT.

So somebody could do that if it meant something to them.                    

[!--EDIT|jcompton|Mar 13 2003, 12:20 PM--]
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Seifer

Kudos
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2003, 12:49:52 PM »
Is that taken on good authority or just over bearing optimism?                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Kudos
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2003, 01:47:43 PM »
Good authority, observation, and experience.

Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Dark Artemis

Kudos
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2003, 07:42:26 PM »
Voice acting really would be perfect. I wish I was computer savvy enough to tackle something like that...

What do people think Solaufein sounds like? I tend to imagine him as having a fairly warm, resonating type of voice. [img]http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif' border='0' alt='user posted image']                    

[!--EDIT|Dark Artemis|Mar 13 2003, 07:44 PM--]

Seifer

Kudos
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2003, 07:57:49 PM »
These no reason to suggest that you cant be savvy enough, tis just a matter of organisation, I mean look at some of the posts I've left in the help forum and you can see I was (err, still am!) a rank novice but you learn!

In regards,  I see him with a mid-tone voice sultry but sweet kinda thing.                    

Dark Artemis

Kudos
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2003, 09:19:13 PM »
@Seifer, lol! I'll check them out sometime  :)

Hmmm... I am thinking maybe Solaufein sounds a bit like Leonard Cohen... warm, husky and a little rough around the edges....

I know Leonard Cohen is advancing in years.. but that voice... *drool* :D

I guess I should properly say hello as well, seeing as I have just recently joined this forum :)                    

[!--EDIT|Dark Artemis|Mar 13 2003, 09:20 PM--]

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Kudos
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2003, 02:33:11 PM »
It has long been my belief that Wes will publish voice acting for Solaufein when--and only when--someone throws an audio-tagged .tra and a bunch of clips at him and says HERE, WEIMER, PUT THESE OUT.

So somebody could do that if it meant something to them.
                   Would you believe that just three days ago I was thinking about making an optional voice-acting component for Solaufein?

The problems were three-fold:

(1) I don't have anyone to do the voice-acting exception myself (Wes the Seiyuu).

(2) I'm not sure that I'm the right voice for Solaufein. See http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~weimer/quotes/...ifeHadStood.mp3 for an example of me reading an Emily Dickinson poem about 5 years ago. This was my best attempt at the time to sound boring, measured and even.

(3) I don't have a good microphone, etc. Although I'm sure Jason and Wynne could give me a bunch of tips on recording.

If someone is willing to be the voice actor, I would be happy to go through the TRA files and pull out lines.                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Kudos
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2003, 02:52:07 PM »
Would you believe that just three days ago I was thinking about making an optional voice-acting component for Solaufein?
Since you ask... no. :)

(1) I don't have anyone to do the voice-acting exception myself (Wes the Seiyuu).

You do attend a major university that would probably have some sort of speech/theater/drama department, no?

(2) I'm not sure that I'm the right voice for Solaufein.

Not even listening to the MP3 or counting our phone conversation and listening to your answering machine, I've mentioned that I think it would be quite a serious challenge for ANYONE, with Solaufein at v95, to come up with a voice that will fit the ~18 months of mentally-filling-in-the-blanks that's gone on. As I've (sometimes bitterly, yes) noted, Kelsey has good lines and flat lines. However, in a way, Solaufein ALWAYS sounds perfect to his players. A steep challenge.

(3) I don't have a good microphone, etc.

The secret is that a good microphone is fairly optional. :) DBG Jasper, for instance, was done on a microphone you can get for like $10 (including shipping!) from bestbuy.com. Wynne uses an el-cheapo desktop microphone. The mic I used for K-TOB, although older, was nothing special. I can't remember which mic I used for Cespenar, but you get the picture. The only time I've used a fancy mic was the original K-SOA recordings and while very very rich, it was actually TOO rich at times and I've had to replace most of the work and blah blah blah let's not go through that again.

Usually the bigger problem is getting a quiet environment (although both the Wynne Method and the Compton Method will get you there, albeit through very different means) and checking your computer's mic-in port for suckage (many onboard sound implementations have horribly noisy mic-in lines, but that can be overcome by spending $10-$30 on an otherwise obsolete sound card and just using it for recording.)

If you chose to do it, Wes, your laptop might be ideal IF its mic-in is non-sucky--in battery mode, laptops are totally impervious to AC hum and they don't make much noise and you can prop the thing in a corner and just read your lines directly off the screen like I do.                    

[!--EDIT|jcompton|Mar 14 2003, 02:52 PM--]

Kiki

Kudos
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2003, 11:01:50 PM »
As requested, I'm weighing in on this life-or-death matter. ;-)

He should have a baritone voice, not too heavy. It's been a while since I've seen any of his movies, but I'm thinking Daniel Day-Lewis. The net effect of his voice should be like that one scene in Last of the Mohicans (overall not a great movie, but full of beautiful men), where Daniel Day-Lewis directed this smoldering look at Madeleine Stowe, causing every woman in the theater to go weak in the knees. During that scene, my friend Angela leaned over to me and hissed, "I'm going to have his children ... or die trying."                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Kudos
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2003, 11:40:32 PM »
The net effect of his voice should be like that one scene in Last of the Mohicans (overall not a great movie, but full of beautiful men), where Daniel Day-Lewis directed this smoldering look at Madeleine Stowe, causing every woman in the theater to go weak in the knees. During that scene, my friend Angela leaned over to me and hissed, "I'm going to have his children ... or die trying."
                   ...wasn't somebody JUST SAYING that the bar was probably set pretty high? :)                    

Kiki

Kudos
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2003, 11:53:52 PM »
...wasn't somebody JUST SAYING that the bar was probably set pretty high? :)
                   Yes, I most certainly see what you are saying, since I just proved your case for you. :) It's too late for Solaufein to be voiced--how many people can live up to the standard set by Daniel *sigh* Day-Lewis in Last of the Mohicans? OK, Gregory Peck, but I don't think he's available either.

(I'm going to have to rent that movie again, and it's all your fault for making me read this thread, hence making me think of examples that I would like Solaufein to emulate, and thus sending me off on wild-goose chases in search of Daniel Day-Lewis audio clips.)                    

Kudos
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2003, 04:49:40 AM »
Hate to say it, Wes-buddy, but you are correct. You aren't cut out to be the voice of Sola. But then again, nor am I. Too raspy, and for some reason, whenever I hear my voice recorded I can see me smiling. Make that grinning. Not prezactly what I'd think of for Sola. However, I don't think it needs to be a "God peeking from the clouds to say Hello" kind of voice either.                    

L_Jonté

Kudos
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2003, 11:01:28 AM »
He should have a baritone voice, not too heavy. It's been a while since I've seen any of his movies, but I'm thinking Daniel Day-Lewis. The net effect of his voice should be like that one scene in Last of the Mohicans (overall not a great movie, but full of beautiful men), where Daniel Day-Lewis directed this smoldering look at Madeleine Stowe, causing every woman in the theater to go weak in the knees.
Exactly so.  OR even a voice like David Bowie's from Labyrinth.  Years of smoking had given his voice a deeper (and edgier) quality that he didn't have in his youth.  Whatever, it worked, weak knees and all.

As for Wes the Seiyuu... Perhaps if Solafein were much younger.

Get the to a theater, close your eyes and listen.  Sola is out there someplace.                    

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Kudos
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 04:18:24 PM »
Much younger ... like five, say? :-)

The problem with picking movie stars (I'd cast my vote for Alan Rickman!) is that we won't get them. :-) I'd be much happier to hear "I have a brother who sounds kinda like Solaufein and he's willing to voice some lines ..."

L_Jonté

Kudos
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2003, 06:01:07 PM »
Five.  Right.  Maybe six, but that would be pushing it.   ;)

Alan Rickman would be good, but I think you're right about finding a voice actor that sounds like the original.                    

Kismet

Kudos
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2003, 06:07:55 PM »
It's probably just easier to find someone who's voice/acting pleases you and just have him revoice the original Solaufein dialog rather than trying to match it.  I don't recall him having all that much spoken dialog so it wouldn't be too much additional work.                    

L_Jonté

Kudos
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2003, 06:11:23 PM »
Yeah, but there is enough of the original voice that I'm kinda stuck on it now.  Of course, that could just be me.   B)                    

Kismet

Kudos
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2003, 06:20:27 PM »
Finding someone who can sound like Solaufein and will work for free is probably pretty unlikely.  IMO, it's probably better to have it revoiced rather than having a bad match between old/new Solaufein.  Ya never know... the replacement could end up sounding better than the original. :)                      

Kiki

Kudos
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2003, 07:13:31 PM »
I don't care for Solaufein's original voice set--I've always pretended that he just has a cold or something.

And of course we'll never get real actors, it's just that those are the only people whose voices are known by a significant portion of the population. I could say, "His voice should be like my husband's, only deeper" but that wouldn't mean much to anyone.

An Alan-Rickman-like voice would be good. Truly Madly Deeply was a great movie.                    

Kudos
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2003, 09:03:52 PM »
Isn't anyone going to try to convince me that I could be Sola's voice? Good grief people, I just can't get any respect! *breaks down in tears*  :blink:                    

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Kudos
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2003, 09:39:20 PM »
Isn't anyone going to try to convince me that I could be Sola's voice?
                   Be careful what you wish for.

Kiki

Kudos
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2003, 10:41:59 PM »
Usually the bigger problem is getting a quiet environment
                   If you live near a university (or most high schools), they'll have music practice rooms that are soundproof.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: