Author Topic: error installing >256 kits  (Read 285 times)

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
error installing >256 kits
« on: June 28, 2019, 01:43:57 PM »
I just got this error when trying to install a kitpack on BG2EE:

Code: [Select]
ERROR: Failure("The game requires ToBEx or GemRB to support more than 256 kits.")
I pushed the install above the 256 number on purpose.  I'm trying to test something.  Any idea how I can make Weidu ignore the limit, at least temporarily?

For instance: is there a way to spoof ToBEx detection? Does it look for a marker file, or MOD_IS_INSTALLED, or something?

Even better: could I INCLUDE my own alternate ADD_KIT that omits this restriction?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 05:56:47 PM by subtledoctor »

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Re: error installing >256 kits
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2019, 04:32:16 AM »
The EE engine supports more kits these days, then? Last I worked on this it apparently did not.

You might be able to spoof ToBEx by creating the file tobex_ini/tobexver.txt with the contents 20 (or a greater number).

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2019, 09:48:01 AM »
The EE engine may support unlimited kits - as long as the ones beyond row #256 in kitlist.2da don't call for the engine to read their CLAB tables. 

Conveniently, I am working on several mods that introduce multiclass kits, which do not require the engine to read their CLAB tables.  I want to investigate whether I can back-load these types of kits.  That would allow up to 256 regular kits, and a functionally unlimited number of kits past that.  Especially in cases such as, for instance, you want to make a "Priest of God X" kit, and want it to effectively be available to any/all multiclass cleric combinations.  Currently, the 5 kits required to do that all count toward the 256 limit.  In a mod designed to add lots of deities and several multiclass combinations for each deity, reducing the 'footprint' by up to 80% would give us a LOT more breathing room...

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 01:10:23 PM »
You might be able to spoof ToBEx by creating the file tobex_ini/tobexver.txt with the contents 20 (or a greater number).

No go, it fails on the 257th kit with:
ERROR: Failure("int_of_string")

Offline subtledoctor

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 07:40:29 PM »
Gonna bump this, I'm not sure what to do. If my hypothesis is correct, then Weidu's ADD_KIT should be modified to proceed normally on kits numbered 257+ if those kits are added for class #s 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, or 18. (For the EE games, which are the only time someone will add multiclass kits.)

I just can't test the hypothesis in order to confirm it and formally request the change. (But I'm fairly confident in it - it stems from information from Kjeron...)

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »

No go, it fails on the 257th kit with:
ERROR: Failure("int_of_string")
The code reading the file is quite fragile. Likely it's failing on whitespace or something. You can copy the file from the ToBEx distribution available from SHS.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: