Author Topic: WeiDU v235 on Mac  (Read 9139 times)

Linarius

WeiDU v235 on Mac
« on: November 17, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »
I'm not sure if this is related but with Weidu Mac v235 I cannot seem to install any mods in OSX 10.6.8... the "setup-XXX" files all crash immediately in Terminal with one of the following errors:

MacBook-Pro:Resources games$ ./setup-stratagems
dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000028
Trace/BPT trap

OR

MacBook-Pro:Resources games$ ./setup-bg2_tweaks
Illegal instruction

Is this maybe some problem with Weidu Mac v235? I'm not really a coder but thought to alert you.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: WeiDU v235 on Mac
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 11:45:58 PM »
I'm sorry to say it, but had this issue reported with Angelo for OSX, too. Should I upgrade to v236 or wait for v237?

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 12:50:49 AM »
Linarus, are you by any chance on a 32-bit version of OS X? If so, I'm afraid that's the problem and there's little I can do about it. Someone would have to build WeiDU for 32-bit OS X (I assume Ocaml can't do this universal-binary stuff).

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 01:36:21 AM »
Linarus, are you by any chance on a 32-bit version of OS X? If so, I'm afraid that's the problem and there's little I can do about it. Someone would have to build WeiDU for 32-bit OS X (I assume Ocaml can't do this universal-binary stuff).
Actually, scratch that. This isn't about bitness, it's some sort of library/linking issue, apparently most likely resulting from differences between the OS X version Mac WeiDU was built on and certain versions of OS X older than that. Still don't know if there's anything on my end I can do (or more likely, have the Mac compiler guy do).

Linarius

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:01:33 AM »
No, its a Macbook Pro with Intel Core i7, 64 bit. System Profiler says this, in case that helps:

Processor Name: Intel Core i7
  Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
  SMC Version (system): 1.69f3

I do have the option to run Terminal in 32 bit mode (which I have never done) by setting a checkbox in Get Info window for the Terminal app. Just looked now to be certain and its not checked, its never been running in 32 bit mode.

This is what Terminal says when I do a uname:

MacBook-Pro:Resources games$ uname -a
Darwin MacBook-Pro.local 10.8.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0: Tue Jun  7 16:32:41 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

To be honest I am not knowledgeable enough to know the cause of my mod installation errors...it may be Weidu, or not.  The process worked fine in BG-EE several months ago but now does not work there either, after I purchased BGII-EE, upgraded to the most recent BG-EE patch, and then upgraded both WEIDU (to Mac v235) and my Mac Mod Installer script (to v2.1). But the Mod Installer script is pretty straightforward and seems to work as before, creating the aliases to dialog.tlk etc, finding Weidu, then running Terminal and calling the setup file in Terminal. But then Terminal goes splat. Terminal also goes splat in similar ways if I click on the .command file for a mod. Like this:

MacBook-Pro:~ games$ /Applications/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition/Game\ Data/00777/Baldur\'s\ Gate\ -\ Enhanced\ Edition.app/Contents/Resources/setup-bg2_tweaks.command ; exit;
/Applications/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/Game Data/00777/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition.app/Contents/Resources/setup-bg2_tweaks.command: line 3:  1224 Illegal instruction     ./setup-bg2_tweaks
logout
[Process completed]

Linarius

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 02:37:31 AM »
Wisp I replied in the other forum to your 32-bit question, before you moved it all to a new topic. Short answer: 64bit.

One thing I thought might be causing problems were permissions, because I got the games on Beamdog this time. I thought perhaps files by default not being set to executable(?) -- either from Beamdog or the mod authors -- might be one thing that could cause the "Illegal Instruction" error.

However since two days ago Ive been obsessively chmod 777 on every mod file and folder in the resources directory, and today even did a recursive:

chmod -R 777 Resources

from a level above... and I still get this error for most mod installations:

MacBook-Pro:Resources games$ ./setup-stratagems
Trace/BPT trap

As well as, for some mods, the old "Illegal Instruction" error instead.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 03:40:08 AM »
In English: this appears to be a backwardsincompatibility between recent versions of OS X and older versions. According to the report in Angelo's forum, upgrading OS X is one possible solution. For those for whom upgrading is not an option, I'm looking into alternatives.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 05:39:21 AM »
Linarius, can you try using this copy of WeiDU? It should perhaps be backwards compatible with your version of OS X.

Linarius

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:18:21 PM »

I get the same error with 236 for 5 mods I tried:

Trace/BPT trap

And re. the permissions, yea you are right, I didn't know what I was doing... when its a permissions problem, Terminal says "Permission Denied" not "Illegal Instruction".

I suppose I can upgrade to Mavericks... Worry about all my applications compatibility though. But getting SCS and other BG mods back is probably one of the few things that would motivate me to suffer through that lol.

Chris

Linarius

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 04:34:27 PM »

Just fyi upgrading to 10.9 Mavericks solved all the errors, as others have reported too.

Thx for the support here, and all the work you guys do making these mods... BG is nowhere near as good a game without what you do.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 03:55:46 AM »
Just to clarify: we're okay with Weidu 235/236 for Mac, and the issue is OSX's fault(no backwards compatibility), correct?

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 04:00:57 AM »
Just to clarify: we're okay with Weidu 235/236 for Mac, and the issue is OSX's fault(no backwards compatibility), correct?
By all appearances, yes.

(Additionally, attempts to compile WeiDU in a way that is compatible with both new and old OS X have thus far met with no success.)

Linarius

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:58:19 AM »

My 10 cents: From a casual Mac user's point of view here (that's me)...it may not be much of a problem to say Weidu is incompatible with the earlier versions of OSX. The OSX 10.9 Mavericks upgrade was a lot easier than I imagined... in my case only one small useless app out of 100 or so (including some expensive ones like Adobe CS, etc.) was incompatible. And I was on the older end of upgrades (starting from 10.6.8). And it was a free from Apple. Probably only quite old Macs that can't actually upgrade to Mavericks (not sure what specific machines those are) would be screwed re. BG modding and Weidu?

stormsaber

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 10:46:03 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys but WeiDU-Mac-236_min_osx_version.zip is not compatible with Snow Leopard (same dyld error).

I've tried the latest version as well.

I'm trying to find earlier versions of WeiDu but the original maintainer doesn't seem to keep previous versions active...

Upgrading to Mavericks is not an option on this old laptop. People with old computers tend to play old games!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 11:27:28 PM »
Oh. I was worried that would happen for the old machines. I'm sorry to heart it. Keeping two OSX installs doesn't seem a very viable option, but I keep hoping there's a different solution.

stormsaber_alias

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »
Oh. I was worried that would happen for the old machines. I'm sorry to heart it. Keeping two OSX installs doesn't seem a very viable option, but I keep hoping there's a different solution.
Yeah having multiple OS installs doesn't sound like a good option at all. Is there no way to link for older versions at compile time? Something like this this?

Anyway I tried to compile weidu myself.. no errors.. but it doesn't seem to have any visible filesystem output either. If I post my makefile output, could you give me a pointer on what to do next?
Daniels-MacBook:weidu anarcocurious$ make osx_zip
ocaml src/trealparserin.gr
File "src/trealparserin.gr", line 1, characters 0-2:
Error: Syntax error
make: [obj/x86_LINUX/trealparserin.mli] Error 2 (ignored)
mv: rename src/trealparserin.ml to obj/x86_LINUX/trealparserin.ml: No such file or directory
mv: rename src/trealparserin.mli to obj/x86_LINUX/trealparserin.mli: No such file or directory
Compiling src/stats.ml to native code
Compiling src/arch.ml to native code
Compiling src/util.ml to native code
Compiling src/modder.ml to native code
Compiling src/var.ml to native code
Compiling src/arch2.ml to native code
Compiling src/xor.ml to native code
Compiling src/eff_table.ml to native code
Compiling src/key.ml to native code
Compiling src/cbif.ml to native code
Compiling src/biff.ml to native code
Compiling src/tlk.ml to native code
Compiling src/load.ml to native code
Compiling src/cre.ml to native code
Compiling src/ids.ml to native code
Compiling interface obj/x86_LINUX/idsparser.mli
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/idsparser.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/idslexer.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/idslexer2.ml to native code
Compiling src/bcs.ml to native code
Compiling interface obj/x86_LINUX/bcsparser.mli
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/bcsparser.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/bcslexer.ml to native code
Compiling src/dlg.ml to native code
Compiling src/dc.ml to native code
Compiling src/refactorbaf.ml to native code
Compiling interface obj/x86_LINUX/refactorbafparser.mli
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/refactorbafparser.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/refactorbaflexer.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/refactordparser.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/refactordlexer.ml to native code
Compiling interface obj/x86_LINUX/bafparser.mli
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/bafparser.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/baflexer.ml to native code
Compiling src/diff.ml to native code
Compiling src/sav.ml to native code
Compiling src/mos.ml to native code
Compiling src/tp.ml to native code
Compiling interface obj/x86_LINUX/dparser.mli
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/dparser.ml to native code
Compiling obj/x86_LINUX/dlexer.ml to native code
Compiling src/sql.ml to native code
Compiling elkhound/smutil.ml to native code
Compiling elkhound/useract.ml to native code
Compiling elkhound/parsetables.ml to native code
Compiling elkhound/arraystack.ml to native code
Compiling elkhound/objpool.ml to native code
Compiling elkhound/glr.ml to native code
Compiling elkhound/lrparse.ml to native code
Compiling src/automate.ml to native code
Compiling src/kit.ml to native code
Compiling src/tpstate.ml to native code
Compiling src/tphelp.ml to native code
Daniels-MacBook:weidu anarcocurious$ ls -la
total 1752
drwxr-xr-x  29 anarcocurious  staff     986  3 Dec 21:52 .
drwxr-xr-x   6 anarcocurious  staff     204  3 Dec 21:46 ..
-rw-r--r--@  1 anarcocurious  staff    6148  3 Dec 21:57 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x  13 anarcocurious  staff     442  3 Dec 20:41 .git
-rw-r--r--   1 anarcocurious  staff     227  3 Dec 20:41 .gitignore
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff   23244  3 Dec 20:41 COPYING
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff    1923  3 Dec 21:49 Configuration
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff    3001  3 Dec 20:41 Depends
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff    9329  3 Dec 20:41 Makefile
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff    2364  3 Dec 20:41 Makefile-tk
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff     550  3 Dec 20:41 Makefile.msvc
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff   13929  3 Dec 20:41 Makefile.ocaml
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff  120559  3 Dec 20:41 README-WeiDU-Changes.txt
drwxr-xr-x   5 anarcocurious  staff     170  3 Dec 21:55 batteries-lite
drwxr-xr-x   7 anarcocurious  staff     238  3 Dec 20:41 doc
drwxr-xr-x  11 anarcocurious  staff     374  3 Dec 22:48 elkhound
drwxr-xr-x  18 anarcocurious  staff     612  3 Dec 20:41 examples
drwxr-xr-x   4 anarcocurious  staff     136  3 Dec 20:41 glob
drwxr-xr-x   6 anarcocurious  staff     204  3 Dec 21:53 obj
drwxr-xr-x   6 anarcocurious  staff     204  3 Dec 21:51 obj-tk
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff    1923  3 Dec 21:49 sample.Configuration
drwxr-xr-x   8 anarcocurious  staff     272  3 Dec 20:41 scripts
drwxr-xr-x  91 anarcocurious  staff    3094  3 Dec 22:48 src
drwxr-xr-x  11 anarcocurious  staff     374  3 Dec 20:41 test
-rw-r--r--   1 anarcocurious  staff     616  3 Dec 20:41 weidu.exe.manifest
-rwxr-xr-x   1 anarcocurious  staff  678832  3 Dec 21:52 weinstall.asm.exe
-rw-r--r--   1 anarcocurious  staff     624  3 Dec 20:41 weinstall.exe.manifest
drwxr-xr-x  18 anarcocurious  staff     612  3 Dec 20:41 xdiff
drwxr-xr-x  28 anarcocurious  staff     952  3 Dec 20:41 zlib
Daniels-MacBook:weidu anarcocurious$ ls -la ..
total 5480
drwxr-xr-x    6 anarcocurious  staff      204  3 Dec 21:46 .
drwxr-xr-x+ 113 anarcocurious  staff     3910  3 Dec 20:39 ..
-rw-r--r--@   1 anarcocurious  staff     6148  3 Dec 21:58 .DS_Store
drwxr-xr-x    7 anarcocurious  staff      238  3 Dec 21:46 elkhound
-rw-r--r--@   1 anarcocurious  staff  2794601  3 Dec 20:44 elkhound.zip
drwxr-xr-x   29 anarcocurious  staff      986  3 Dec 21:52 weidu
Daniels-MacBook:weidu anarcocurious$ pwd
/Users/anarcocurious/weidu/weidu

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 11:02:12 AM »
no errors.. but it doesn't seem to have any visible filesystem output either. If I post my makefile output, could you give me a pointer on what to do next?
Are you sure you have elkhound available on your path? I'm not sure the process fails sensibly if elkhound is missing, and your build seems to go south roughly around the parts where elkhound gets involved.

Offline sturmvogel

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2013, 12:35:51 PM »
I had this problem with my MacBook Air w/Lion, but maybe it was just me; I don't really understand what I'm doing in Terminal. I did just upgrade it to Mavericks, but haven't had a change to try again with v235 or 236.

Is there some sort of problem that prevents v234 being usable on 10.6.8? I've got some legacy stuff there, like Adobe CS3, that I'd prefer not to lose access to.

stormsaber-alias

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:49 AM »
no errors.. but it doesn't seem to have any visible filesystem output either. If I post my makefile output, could you give me a pointer on what to do next?
Are you sure you have elkhound available on your path? I'm not sure the process fails sensibly if elkhound is missing, and your build seems to go south roughly around the parts where elkhound gets involved.
Yeah that's what the problem was. Compiled weidu and been using it just fine since then. If there is demand, perhaps I could upload the binary for other people who are less able to use a compiler..

stormsaber-alias

Re: WeiDU v235 on Mac - bug?
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 04:34:03 AM »
I should add as a matter of importance that weinstall refused to work after compilation, quitting with an error message relating to not being able to find WeiDU (I forget the exact error message, apologies). I renamed the 'weidu' binary to 'WeiDU' and added it to the path, and it has been working fine ever since. Could this be a bug worth reporting?

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
Re: WeiDU v235 on Mac - bug?
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2013, 11:39:31 AM »
I should add as a matter of importance that weinstall refused to work after compilation, quitting with an error message relating to not being able to find WeiDU (I forget the exact error message, apologies). I renamed the 'weidu' binary to 'WeiDU' and added it to the path, and it has been working fine ever since. Could this be a bug worth reporting?
Well, there currently is a case-mismatch between what the built WeiDU executable is called and what WeInstall thinks it's called on OS X, but I wasn't aware OS X was case-sensitive. I can lower case the internal name too.

Offline Wisp

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2013, 11:43:20 AM »
Yeah that's what the problem was. Compiled weidu and been using it just fine since then. If there is demand, perhaps I could upload the binary for other people who are less able to use a compiler..
Unless you're going to stick around and build WeiDU 237 et al., that's not going to be a good idea. I'll check with alnair about this. In the meantime, you can send me your binaries and I'll upload them alongside the other Mac WeiDU.

Offline stormsaber

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 01:20:07 PM »
Unless you're going to stick around and build WeiDU 237 et al., that's not going to be a good idea. I'll check with alnair about this. In the meantime, you can send me your binaries and I'll upload them alongside the other Mac WeiDU.

I can stick around and build shit if you like.

Hope it helps somebody.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypl989aqyfxbkq0/osx.zip
(Re: case-sensitivity - OSX is case-sensitive, I'm afraid. The binary is named WeiDU in the above zip file.)
uname -v
Darwin Kernel Version 10.8.0 (OSX 10.6.8): Tue Jun  7 16:33:36 PDT 2011; root:xnu-1504.15.3~1/RELEASE_I386

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 02:42:40 PM »
(Re: case-sensitivity - OSX is case-sensitive, I'm afraid. The binary is named WeiDU in the above zip file.)
Actually, the default filesystem is case-insensitive. There is optional support for case-sensitivity, but you use it at your own risk (it's not intended for general use).

If you're not using a case-sensitive filesystem, then any errors are coming from something other than the system.

Offline stormsaber

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2013, 12:29:27 AM »
Actually, the default filesystem is case-insensitive. There is optional support for case-sensitivity, but you use it at your own risk (it's not intended for general use).

If you're not using a case-sensitive filesystem, then any errors are coming from something other than the system.
I stand corrected; OSX is by default case-insensitive yet case-preserving.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: