Author Topic: Packing v13  (Read 39488 times)

Thorfinn

Re: Packing v13
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 01:43:05 PM »
I guess that's a stylistic question -- is it generally preferred to include things like these as discrete files, or generate them on the fly?
Generate them on the fly all you want. There are oodles of advantages to it.
Probably top of my list is using a text editor rather than firing up DLTCEP when tweaking balance issues -- change the HP, or location, or resistance, or whatever.

Re: crash issues, I told my 1G switch to limit bandwidth to 10 and the problem went away. I've seen issues with Delay() causing sync errors in multiplayer before, and I see the ghoul script uses that. I'm going to give a shot at removing the script from ghoul and see if that resolves the matter.

Re: hosting,  now that Weidu has ADD_CRE_ITEM, I replaced dozen or so lines for each such replacement I had done with INSERT, READ and WRITEs and am testing it. I'll send a copy when I'm confident this has no issues.

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
1. Is there a way to extract the original ARE in a TP2 install? Not just COPY_EXISTING, because I had the bad luck to pick a basement ARE which had been modded, so it ended up with the other mod taking place in two locations. The only alternative I could come up with was to include an ARE in the install, which isn't really necessary. With broadband and all it probably doesn't matter, I suppose, but still...

I think people are usually do the following in your case: they take the original graphics from the game(those are .tis files), but they use their own small .are files(which are only a few kb long) and include the .are files in the mod. This way, no extra big files are necessary. When you open your .are file via DLTCEP, you just see that it uses game graphics(.tis). There are some tutorials around, if you want.

Right. I've been just using the ARE without modifying the search or light, just using an area script to pop in whatever actor I wanted there, and doing a couple WRITEs to get exits and entries in the right spot. Instead of a few k, those can be done in the TP2 with a few score bytes. I do much the same with CREs -- an otherwise non-descript townsperson can be cloned and with a couple WRITE_ASCII and WRITE_BYTEs customized for color, script, etc. Unique items are just a copy of one of the many books, then a WRITE_ASCII to apply the custom BAM I send with the mod.

I guess that's a stylistic question -- is it generally preferred to include things like these as discrete files, or generate them on the fly?
You can use a combination of both.  Including a stable .are file in your mod will prevent you from having to worry about other mods making changes to that area, and you won't need to use messy techniques to try to extract a clean version from the player's installation.  Once you have your clean version of the .are, you can use DLTCEP or WeiDU or whatever you're most comfortable with to make changes.  I personally prefer using WeiDU to make all modifications, because it allows you to quickly alter and amend your work, and saves a lot of time if you need to make any batch changes.  Plus, I've grown accustomed to using it.  Some people find it easier to use other tools.

Offline JLE

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Is there a good argument for incorporating the "Completed Kagain Quest" from BG1NPC into Unfinished Business? Partly to avoid mod conflicts and partly because it's still kinda unsatisfying to just have Kagain see a corpse and go "Oh well"...

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 02:21:57 AM »
Mod conflicts can easily be avoided by not installing the component. Sorry for this answer, I know it's not what you meant. I guess the components could be merged, but fact is that UB content is (mainly) trying to restore unused game resources. BG1NPC project adds more NPC content so they had the possibility to extend the Kagain quest to what a player might want to see in the game. So both components have a reason for their existance and players can choose which one to install.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 09:20:51 PM »
There's a typo in the readme for component L, with a Silvershield where there should be a Sashenstar.

Please see the linked thread about the Sarevok's diary component for a suggested option to make this change/addition more universally satisfactory. I'd bite my tongue, but if you're planning another release, maybe it isn't too much trouble to code? I don't know what would be entailed in translation, but I'm only proposing minor changes that I would assume are the same in any language, since they're pretty much all of made-up words (though I could be wrong), or lifting text directly from already-included stuff.
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,21368.msg327363.html#msg327363

Thanks for your attention (and for adopting the mod)!

Edit: Nevermind the green text so much. I've since learned that this is all addressed by BG1NPC (though a cross-reference and full explanation of what the component does would be welcome).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:19:52 PM by Bex »
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Demoss

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2011, 05:11:32 PM »
Hi, I'm getting an issue with UB 13 (UB 12 as the same problem), when i run the setup in the BG directory, it wont let me key in a number for the language selection, now I've tried other WeiDU mods for games like Icewind Dale and they let me choose language and install just fine, even the BG1tweaks lets me but not Unfinished Business.

Can anyone shine any light on this issue?

Demoss

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »
Hi, I'm getting an issue with UB 13 (UB 12 as the same problem), when i run the setup in the BG directory, it wont let me key in a number for the language selection, now I've tried other WeiDU mods for games like Icewind Dale and they let me choose language and install just fine, even the BG1tweaks lets me but not Unfinished Business.

Can anyone shine any light on this issue?

It seemed to work on my bros comp and he has the same OS as me, so i figure it may have something to do with my locale I've set on my computer. Its set to Japan, this was so some Japanese games i have worked, but may be the reason why i get the issue.

Offline prowler

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2011, 02:14:21 PM »
Hey Jastey! When you are planning new release?
Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon, Arcanecoast.ru, Aerie.ru

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 03:10:45 PM »
I want to integrate the latest remarks, there I lack of free time currently.
And I lack of testers that really get as far as the mod into the game.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »
The pre-version linked here was updated.

EDIT: I forgot about the typo. This will be fixed in the next release. Thank you, Bex, for reporting, btw.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2011, 03:40:49 AM by jastey »

Hurricane

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 08:32:10 PM »
I have spotted a small error in the following lines of the Audio Restorations code:

Code: [Select]
/////////////////////
// Tanar'ri sound fix
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~_durlag.mve~ THEN BEGIN
 COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%TANAR.CRE~ ~override~
  SAY 0xa4 @68
  SAY 0xa8 @64
  SAY 0xc8 @69
  SAY 0xcc @69
  SAY 0xd0 @69
  SAY 0xd4 @69
  SAY 0xd8 @69
  SAY 0xec @66
  SAY 0xf0 @65
  SAY 0x10c @67
  SAY 0x110 @68
  SAY 0x114 @64
  SAY 0x19c @67
  SAY 0x1b8 @67

///////////////////////////
// Delsvirftanyon sound fix
 COPY_EXISTING ~%tutu_var%DELSVIR.CRE~ ~override~
  SAY 0xa4 @70
  SAY 0xec @72
  SAY 0xf0 @73
  SAY 0x10c @71
END

This is part of the audio restoration section for BGT/Tutu. Since Delsvirftanyon and the Tanar'ri are TotSC resources, the ACTION_IF command at the beginning is meant to check whether the addon is present. However, by checking for ~_durlag.mve~, the two sound fixes are only applied to Tutu and not BGT. It should be changed to ~%tutu_var%durlag.mve~. Please include this. :)

Robocasper

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2011, 12:51:41 AM »
The correct .wav file for "Bolt of Lighting" BOLT03.ITM or _BOLT03.ITM is:

EFF_M23C.WAV or _FF_M23C.WAV

Robocasper

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2011, 11:11:40 AM »
Here is a strange non-bug fore EasyTutu:
Quoningar, the Cleric

NI reports not found for "UBQUON" for _AR0120.BCS.  Here is the partial code and the cure (change to lower case):
!Exists("ubquon")
!Dead("ubquon")

I also went into the creature file and changed script name to lower case as well:
UBQUON.CRE

Now NI is happy...so sensitive!

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2011, 02:01:04 PM »
Thanks for the reports, I will look into it [when I have more time].

Note to myself: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php/topic,25389.msg328183.html#msg328183

Well, that was for UB BGII -
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 01:47:31 PM by jastey »

Offline DukeDeren

• Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2011, 05:48:59 PM »
This is minor. 

If I defeat Tranzig BEFORE I meet and unpetrify Branwen.  Branwen should have a dialog with the protagonist to thank him for defeating the mage who petrified her.

So far, I have not encountered any other problem.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
The "Elven Charm and Sleep Racial Resistance" component should be auto-skipped if the BG2 Fixpact is detected, since it's already contained there (i.e. in case some one is using BGT). Also, I think EasyTutu incorporates this as well. Something like this might be a good safeguard against installing the component in the aforementioned environments:

Code: [Select]
REQUIRE_PREDICATE !FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~cdelfcm0.eff~ ~The functionality of this component is either already included or superceded by one of your already installed mods.~
Substitute the string with the appropriate TRA reference when added.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »
Thank you, will do.

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2012, 01:53:27 PM »
This is minor. 

If I defeat Tranzig BEFORE I meet and unpetrify Branwen.  Branwen should have a dialog with the protagonist to thank him for defeating the mage who petrified her.

I am afraid that is new content I will not introduce for now.

Thank you for your report(s)!

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2012, 01:50:19 AM »
This is minor. 

I am afraid that is new content I will not introduce for now.

Thank you for your report(s)!

But even if you had time to do it, I don't think it's a good idea. How would Branwen know about that?

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
Maybe she overheard things while being stone  :)

Actually, I could imagine she would hear it from somewhere. If not before, than after being freed, so the reaction could be later, also.

Isn't it already included in BG1NPC?

ZFR77

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2012, 07:40:59 PM »
There is inconsistent XP from Corianna. One dialogue path gives you 1000 and the other 100. Intentional, or just a missing zero? (AFAICS nothing in the dialogue seems to indicate why one should make you experienced more).

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 06:17:14 AM »
Thank you, will look at. Sonce I still find my way around in the mod - which quest does she belong to?

ZFR77

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2012, 08:04:52 AM »
I don't think she's part of a quest. If I'm not mistaken, she's from Creature Restoration (don't have my game with me at the moment).

Offline jastey

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 02:29:47 PM »
Yes, found her. Maybe make it 100 XP and a potion for all cases?

BEGIN UBCORIAN

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
ReactionLT(LastTalkedToBy,8)~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY #15543  /* ~Damn basilisks! I think it was heading east but I've had enough of it for one day, thank you very much. If you're into hunting the stupid things down, though, don't let me stop you.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~AddexperienceParty(500) EscapeArea()~ JOURNAL #15810 /* ~I have rescued the ranger Corianna from where she stood, petrified by a basilisk's gaze. Although Corianna has no desire to meet the creature a second time, she has been kind enough to inform me that it was heading east...~ */ EXIT
END

IF ~NumTimesTalkedTo(0)
ReactionGT(LastTalkedToBy,7)~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from:
  SAY #15544 /* ~I'm so glad you found me out here. Basilisks aren't exactly the thing to face alone. I'm going home but if you want to hunt it down, make sure you take this potion of mirrored eyes along with you. It's lair can't be too far from here.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY @1 DO ~AddexperienceParty(100) GiveItemCreate("POTN38",LastTalkedToBy,1,0,0) EscapeArea()~ JOURNAL #15811 /* ~I have rescued the ranger Corianna from where she stood, petrified by a basilisk's gaze. Although she has no desire to meet the creature a second time, Corianna has been kind enough to give me a potion of mirrored eyes and inform me that it was heading east...~ */ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY @2 DO ~GiveItemCreate("POTN38",LastTalkedToBy,1,0,0) EscapeArea()~ JOURNAL #15811 /* ~I have rescued the ranger Corianna from where she stood, petrified by a basilisk's gaze. Although she has no desire to meet the creature a second time, Corianna has been kind enough to give me a potion of mirrored eyes and inform me that it was heading east...~ */ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY @3 GOTO 2
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
  SAY #15545  /* ~Oh no you don't... If you want to face that basilisk, that's your business. I'm heading home.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~AddexperienceParty(1000) GiveItemCreate("POTN38",LastTalkedToBy,1,0,0) EscapeArea()~ JOURNAL #15811 /* ~I have rescued the ranger Corianna from where she stood, petrified by a basilisk's gaze. Although she has no desire to meet the creature a second time, Corianna has been kind enough to give me a potion of mirrored eyes and inform me that it was heading east...~ */ EXIT
END

IF ~StateCheck(Myself,8192)~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:
  SAY #15546 /* ~Must you? Look, it's been a long day for me... Oh, damn you after all!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~EscapeArea()~ EXIT
END

The original dialogue doesn't include any rewards, as it was probably not finished:

// creator  : weidu (version 23100)
// argument : CORIAN.DLG
// game       : .
// source    : ./DATA/DIALOG.BIF
// dialog    : ./dialog.tlk
// dialogF  : (none)

BEGIN ~CORIAN~

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 0 // from:
  SAY #15543 /* ~Damn basilisks! I think it was heading east but I've had enough of it for one day, thank you very much. If you're into hunting the stupid things down, though, don't let me stop you.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ JOURNAL #15810 /* ~I have rescued the ranger Corianna from where she stood, petrified by a basilisk's gaze. Although Corianna has no desire to meet the creature a second time, she has been kind enough to inform me that it was heading east...~ */ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 1 // from:
  SAY #15544 /* ~I'm so glad you found me out here. Basilisks aren't exactly the thing to face alone. I'm going home but if you want to hunt it down, make sure you take this potion of mirrored eyes along with you. It's lair can't be too far from here.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ JOURNAL #15811 /* ~I have rescued the ranger Corianna from where she stood, petrified by a basilisk's gaze. Although she has no desire to meet the creature a second time, Corianna has been kind enough to give me a potion of mirrored eyes and inform me that it was heading east...~ */ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 2 // from:
  SAY #15545 /* ~Oh no you don't... If you want to face that basilisk, that's your business. I'm heading home.~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

IF ~false()~ THEN BEGIN 3 // from:
  SAY #15546 /* ~Must you? Look, it's been a long day for me... Oh, damn you after all!~ */
  IF ~~ THEN DO ~~ EXIT
END

ZFR77

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 02:38:39 PM »
100 seems to be a fair reward at this stage of the game, considering the quest isn't too difficult. Do you want to keep it 0 for the "bad" dialogue line?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: