Author Topic: Chapter 3 not happening  (Read 3326 times)

Lonmarg

Chapter 3 not happening
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:14:14 AM »
Hello, so I have been playing through Baldur's Gate 1 using this whole Tutu thing.  Everything was running fine until I got done with the Nashkel Mines.  I killed Mulahey and such and made my way back to Nashkel.  The Ghastkill guy gave me my money and completed the quest but there was no assassin at the Inn to atk me, the lady in Beragost isnt there to buy my Bandit Scalps and Tanzig is not upstairs.  I saw another post on here saying Mulahey had gone outside of the cave but that didnt happen to me.  I still went back to his room and such but it still didnt move on to chapter 3.  

After I kill Mulahey and moved outside of the mines I tried rerunning the bg1tutu.exe to try and change a class I had chosen for a character when I ran it originally and then got back on Baldurs Gate and went to Nashkel to complete the quest but then I had these problems.  Could running bg1tutu.exe have screwed up my game?  My journal entries are also all messed up.  Shows stats for weapons and crap instead of entries.  Any ideas here?  I really dont want to have to uninstall everything and reinstall it and then start over again.  Thanks for any help

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
Re: Chapter 3 not happening
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 03:34:48 AM »
Did you take the note from Mulahey's chest?

Offline plainab

• Sasha al'Therin
  • Planewalker
    • Infinity Engine Modding
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:05:14 PM »
Hello, so I have been playing through Baldur's Gate 1 using this whole Tutu thing.  Everything was running fine until I got done with the Nashkel Mines.  I killed Mulahey and such and made my way back to Nashkel.  The Ghastkill guy gave me my money and completed the quest but there was no assassin at the Inn to atk me, the lady in Beragost isnt there to buy my Bandit Scalps and Tanzig is not upstairs.  I saw another post on here saying Mulahey had gone outside of the cave but that didnt happen to me.  I still went back to his room and such but it still didnt move on to chapter 3.  
As Mike1072 said, you need to pick up the note inside the chest.

After I kill Mulahey and moved outside of the mines I tried rerunning the bg1tutu.exe to try and change a class I had chosen for a character when I ran it originally and then got back on Baldurs Gate and went to Nashkel to complete the quest but then I had these problems.  Could running bg1tutu.exe have screwed up my game?  My journal entries are also all messed up.  Shows stats for weapons and crap instead of entries.  Any ideas here?  I really dont want to have to uninstall everything and reinstall it and then start over again.  Thanks for any help
Let me understand something....
You started a game in Tutu and saved it then reinstalled Tutu over top your existing installation and tried to run Tutu again with your save file from the first installation?

Or did you mean to say that you re-ran a certain mod to uninstall an option that had changed a character?

If the first guess is true, then you are most likely screwed for your save game.  You COULD try a new game and see if that works as it should.  Save games from one installation may not work on another installation. I'm not sure how the dialog.tlk file is created for Tutu, but the string reference numbers could differ between installation.

If the second guess is true, the changes are due to uninstalling and reinstalling mods. The way weidu works is that it uninstalls everything from the bottom of weidu.log up to the mod or mod component that you are wanting to uninstall. Weidu then reinstalls all those other mods. If the mod or mod component that you removed had made enough changes to files affected by the later mods, you could possibly see some of the things you have described...
My working mods:
an AI Party Script for BG2 game engine DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Interactive Tweaks for BG series with some IWD support. DOWNLOAD LINK ONLY!
Rest For 8 Hours an IWD mod
-------------------------------------------
My contributions: BG1Fixpack, BG1Tweaks
On Hold: Solestia an NPC for SOA
-------------------------------------------
My website: http://sasha-altherin.webs.com

Lonmarg

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Yes I took his letters.

What I did was started a game with Tutu.  Played up until I completed the Nashkel Mines but had not returned to Nashkel yet to get my reward.  I wanted to switch Dynaheir back to an Invoker which is what she is supposed to be.  When I ran the bg1tutu.exe originally there was an option to run through a few NPCs and change their classes.  I changed hers originally to a Sorcerer and wanted to change it back.  So I tried running bg1tutu.exe again and when selecting the NPC classes chose True Class for her.

When I opened bg back up it had not changed her class.  I then ran bg1tutu_restore.exe and then bg1tutu.exe again.  Still didnt change her class so I just said screw it and continued playing.  But when I got back to Nashkel the assassin was not there, and it never changed to chapter 3.  So I am probably screwed?

You say saved games usually dont work on different installations?  Cause I made copies of my saved games before I did this and saved them elsewhere on my computer.  I couldnt just uninstall everything, reinstall the entire game and Tutu and then put my copied save files into the save folder already created?

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
Well, a couple of things - if you are running the restore, it means you are using Tutu (either v4 or v5/v6).

1. If you are using regular Tutu instead of Easytutu, the version to use is v4. The versions beyond that have a bug where chapters are not set to the correct number, and one common occurence is the failure to be able to move beyond Nashkel mines/Chapter 3.

2. If you installed Tutu instead of EasyTutu, then uninstalled it, then reinstalled it, there will definitely be problems - your save games will definitely not be stable.

Lonmarg

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
Okay so I am using Tutu v6.  

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it.  Then moved my saves from before I ever started messing around with this thing into the new installed BG 2 folder.  All my saved games show up and load and my journal and everything is normal but its still not switching to Chapter 3.  I would assume it did not change before I ever started messing with it and that was just a coincidence I decided to mess with it about the same time.

Is there anyway to fix the bug in v5/v6 that messes up chapters?  Can I maybe change tutu to v4 without ruining my game?  

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »
Unfortunately, no. :(

There are additional problems with using v5/6, including but not limited to no existing record of a successful field test past chapter 3, and definite records of mods failing to work properly. The chapter incrementation is just one symptom of a problem with the code to convert resources and variables from BG used by Tutu v5/6.

Take a look here, on the Tutu State of The Modding Union list for more information on Tutu/Easytutu installations when you reinstall.

I suggest a completely clean install from the start, and discard your savegames. v5/6 should not be floating around without huge warning lables all over them saying 'will not be completable with any existing mods at all' and 'this version will not progress past Mulahey's cave', or perhaps 'There Be Dragons Here - Do Not Enter' . The one thing we *do* know is that any mods for Tutu expect a certain chapter numbering internally which those versions did not follow, so any mods installed will not work as advertised (at the minimum), but there is also no research as to what else in the conversion did not work out as expected. And since Macready came along and made EasyTutu, which repaired the minor problems with Tutu v4 without rendering it mod-unfriendly, there has been no public attempt to work with Japheth's source code, though I think he made it publically available when he retired from i.e. modding. That makes sense, because we have EasyTutu and BGT, so there is no big pressure to replicate those projects.

Short story - no one really knows what works and what doesn't in that version. Safest for your time, sanity, and game enjoyment to press the big red 'eject' button and start over. While the distribution is weidu, it is probably safest after a problem install or untested/unfinished version like those to simply blow it all away and make sure you have a clean backup before you start.

I highly recommend starting over with EasyTutu. it is stable, bugfixed, complete, mod-compatible, and it creates its own install separate from BG and BGII - SoA, so if anything odd happens you still have a complete, untouched BG and BGII - SoA. You an even run out several different EasyTutu installs, and have different mods on each. Most of all, it has been field-tested within an inch of its life. If you decide you must use non-weidu BG1-only mods, or a non-english-language  distribution of BG/TotSC as the base, then please use Tutu v4 and TutuFix.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 09:52:34 PM by cmorgan »

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 09:54:46 PM »
Unfortunately, no. :(

There are additional problems with using v5/6, including but not limited to no existing record of a successful field test past chapter 3, and definite records of mods failing to work properly. The chapter incrementation is just one symptom of a problem with the code to convert resources and variables from BG used by Tutu v5/6.

Take a look here, on the Tutu State of The Modding Union list for more information on Tutu/Easytutu installations when you reinstall.

I suggest a completely clean install from the start, and discard your savegames. v5/6 should not be floating around without huge warning lables all over them saying 'will not be completable with any existing mods at all' and 'this version will not progress past Mulahey's cave', or perhaps 'There Be Dragons Here - Do Not Enter' . The one thing we *do* know is that any mods for Tutu expect a certain chapter numbering internally which those versions did not follow, so any mods installed will not work as advertised (at the minimum), but there is also no research as to what else in the conversion did not work out as expected. And since Macready came along and made EasyTutu, which repaired the minor problems with Tutu v4 without rendering it mod-unfriendly, there has been no public attempt to work with Japheth's source code, though I think he made it publically available when he retired from i.e. modding. That makes sense, because we have EasyTutu and BGT, so there is no big pressure to replicate those projects.

Short story - no one I can think of currently active in i.e modding really knows what works and what doesn't in that version. Safest for your time, sanity, and game enjoyment to press the big red 'eject' button and start over. While the distribution is weidu, it is probably safest after a problem install or untested/unfinished version like those to simply blow it all away and make sure you have a clean backup before you start.

I highly recommend starting over with EasyTutu. it is stable, bugfixed, complete, mod-compatible, and it creates its own install separate from BG and BGII - SoA, so if anything odd happens you still have a complete, untouched BG and BGII - SoA. You an even run out several different EasyTutu installs, and have different mods on each. Most of all, it has been field-tested within an inch of its life. If you decide you must use non-weidu BG1-only mods, or a non-english-language  distribution of BG/TotSC as the base, then please use Tutu v4 and TutuFix.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: