Author Topic: Item Upgrades v37 - Quietus Bug on level up  (Read 2943 times)

Silencer150

Item Upgrades v37 - Quietus Bug on level up
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:48:10 AM »
I have the latest version of the Item Upgrades mod and had given the Quietus +4 dagger to Jan.  As you know, one of the equipped abilities of the Quietus is that it increases a thief's backstab multiplier by 1, which in Jan's case made it x6.  Upon leveling up, the game decided it would "correct" this discrepancy and penalized his backstab multiplier by decreasing it by 1.  "Backstab multiplier increased by -1"

The remedy was easy enough.  I backed out of the Level Up screen by hitting Esc, unequipped the Quietus, and tried leveling him up again.  This time it worked and didn't penalize him, and I was able to re-equip the Quietus.  However if I hadn't caught this bug in time, it would have reduced his backstab multiplier to a base of 4, which I certainly did not want.  (Mind you, Jan isn't the ideal character for backstabbing, but he's my party's thief, so I'm using him as an example.)

Might it be possible to address this in the next version?  Or is it a hard-coded 'feature' of the game?

Offline jon-eli

• Planewalker
Re: Item Upgrades v37 - Quietus Bug on level up
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 03:32:41 AM »
Actually, I don't think it would have worked out quite the way you think (I may be totally wrong, so don't take my word on this, but...): Jan's base backstab multiplier should never go above  x5, correct? Now, I don't think the game is able to tell the difference between a base backstab modifier and the actual modifier, so with the dagger equipped, the game thinks he has a base modifier of x6, which is wrong according to the information provided the engine. The chart says the modifier should be "x5", so the engine would endeavor to set Jan's base modifier to that value. But on the level-up screen, the game is confusing base vs. actual... It looks at the number in the chart, which is going to be the new value. It looks at the current number and sees that this is 1 point higher than what the base value is about to be set to, so it prints "-1" to the screen. But the fact is, the base value wouldn't be changed at all... it would be set to its current value. I'm feeling pretty certain that this is the case.

/edit
That was a terrible description, wasn't it?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:21:20 AM by jon-eli »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: