Author Topic: Playing BGII on a new Mac  (Read 3603 times)

Offline admanb

• Planewalker
Playing BGII on a new Mac
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:04:41 PM »
Hey all,

I've been playing the BG series for years, and it's passed through three different computers with me. But this time I've run into problems. My computer is an Intel iMac -- 2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, 256mb X1600, OS 10.4.11.

This was my install process:

Install from BGII disc 1.
Maximum install from disc 2, 3, and 4.
Patch to SoA 1.1.2.
Install from BGII ToB disc.
Patch to ToB 2.1.2.
Copy save folder from other computer.

The problem is that it crashes almost instantly. If I try to load a game it crashes before the game comes up saying something about "InfCmp." If I try to create a game it gets into the game, plays through the opening scene, and then crashes when the game tries to autosave with no message.

The only troubleshooting I've done is to replace the temp and tempsave files with folders of the same names.

Any ideas? Baldur's Gate is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'd really like to get this running.

Thanks,

Adam

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
Re: Playing BGII on a new Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 05:39:39 PM »
Try disabling Spotlight indexing of the game folder. It's known to interfere with loading/saving games, though IIRC it doesn't normally cause crashes (just the save/load to fail). Also, if applicable, try disabling additional processors while playing - BG doesn't always play nice with multi-processor systems.

Offline admanb

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 03:35:13 AM »
I'm a dumbass.

Apparently this is what happens whenever you install the 1.1.2 patch before installing ToB. Oops.

I copied my install from my other computer and it worked fine.

Offline Cuchulain82

• Planewalker
Re: Playing BGII on a new Mac, same issue- still not working!
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »
Hi all,

I have almost the same issue, except that I'm using an IBook 1.33Ghz G4. I recently reinstalled SOA, TOB, and the most recent TOB patch, 2.1.2. I did everything the macplay site said to do (at: http://www.macplay.com/support/bg2.php#bhaalsave) site said to do, but the game still crashes every time I try to save! I went so far as to call the macplay support number (which is basically defunct, and the troubleshooter at mumbo-jumbo was no help).

It's a common error- it's right on the Macplay FAQ sheet. Anyone know what I should do?

Offline Cuchulain82

• Planewalker
More info regarding the above
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 03:47:40 PM »
To try to troubleshoot the game, I deleted my BGII folder. Then I reinstalled the game only from the game disc, not a full install, just a minimum install (the basic mac option). I started a test game, the game autosaved once... but crashed when it quicksaved and full saved! I have no idea what's going on!

Offline Cuchulain82

• Planewalker
Figured it out
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 05:30:48 PM »
Sorry about the multiple posts, but I figured out the issue and thought others would like to know. After many hours of troubleshooting, I figured it out: it was a corrupted "temp" file in the original SOA install (who'da thunk that?!). I found this at the macplay FAQ, somewhat buried under the SoA section.

I wrote up a little guide for all Mac users on newer systems. Below is what worked for me. My game works and saves now, and this will be more help than calling macplay- they're defunct.

Cuch's guide to installing SOA and TOB on a Mac
I love this game and have played it through and through. However, it's getting old, and it's hard to make it work on new machines. My current machine is:

-1.33Ghz G4 IBook running OS 10.4.11.

Required stuff:

-BGII:SoA game discs 1-4
-BGII:ToB game disc
-Most recent patch for ToB, v. 2.1.2, available from www.macplay.com

Steps:

(1) Install game from Game Disc 1; this will require restarting.
(2) Locate a file in the BGII:SoA folder entitled "temp" and delete it and it's contents. It is corrupted, as per the Macplay site FAQ.
(3) After steps 1 and 2, make sure that the game will open and saves work (ie: open it up, save/quicksave a game, etc.)
(4) Install the "Recommended" or "Maximum" install from Discs 2, 3, and 4 of the game discs. To do this, insert the disc and click on "Install Baldur's Gate II: Mac OS X".
   -Be careful to choose "Recommended" or "Maximum." I chose Maximum; the only thing that matters is that you make the same selection for all discs (2, 3, 4). Having "Maximum" on one and "Recommended" on the other will break the game.
   -Do NOT, at this point, update SoA to the most recent update (1.1.2?), unless you want to just play SoA (ie: if you're going to install ToB, don't update SoA).
   -After installation, make sure that the game will open and saves work (ie: open it up, save/quicksave a game, etc.)
(5) Install ToB.
   -Note: When I installed the unpatched ToB and tried to play/save, the game didn't recognize disc 2 and wouldn't even open, let alone save. For me, this wasn't an issue, because of step 6.
(6) Install the most recent patch from macPlay, 2.1.2. After installation, check again to be sure that the game will open and saves work (ie: open it up, save/quicksave a game, etc.).

One last note- apparently dual processor machines can have other, similar problems with BGII, and are pretty well documenter here I imagine. I don't have one, so I don't know about this. But if you've done all of the above and are still having problems on your dual-processor machine, that's the first thing I'd check.

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
Re: Figured it out
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 06:26:56 PM »
One last note- apparently dual processor machines can have other, similar problems with BGII, and are pretty well documenter here I imagine. I don't have one, so I don't know about this. But if you've done all of the above and are still having problems on your dual-processor machine, that's the first thing I'd check.
Also, disable Spotlight indexing for the game folder(s). I don't know how widespread it is (i.e. whether it occurs on all Spotlight/10.4-10.5 machines), but I know, having experienced it myself, that it can cause save failures.

Offline Cuchulain82

• Planewalker
Re: Figured it out
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:24:06 AM »
Also, disable Spotlight indexing for the game folder(s). I don't know how widespread it is (i.e. whether it occurs on all Spotlight/10.4-10.5 machines), but I know, having experienced it myself, that it can cause save failures.
As you hinted at, I'm still getting save failures. How exactly do I disable spotlight for the SoA folder?

Edit:

I got it from the link in your profile, Gorilym. Here is the text from http://usoutpost31.com/easytutu/mac/ :

" If running OS 10.4.x Spotlight indexing has been known to interfere with the saving of games to disk. To circumvent this launch System Preferences, navigate to the Spotlight preference pane and exempt your BG II folder from Spotlight indexing (under the Privacy tab)."

Hopefully this is all that it will take to stop my save issues.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 04:37:28 PM by Cuchulain82 »

Offline grimrcken

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 04:27:55 AM »
Ok. . . so i'm also one of those 7 year BGI and BGII lovers who was excited by the fact that i could play it on my new kickass mac-machine.  however, after i dealt with all of the major problems listed in these posts dealing with save problems, i discovered that i have a 'wrong disc' problem when i insert disc 3 to go to the Umar hills.  I love Umar. . . why can't i go?  So, i'm wondering why, after i've done a full install including ToB it is still asking me for discs?  I've fixed this problem:
CD5:=:CD5:
HD0:=:
CD1:=:CD1:
CD2:=:CD2:
CD3:=:CD3:
CD4:=:CD4:

however, it still asks for discs and when i put them in it says (disc 3 in particular) wrong disc.  It isnt WRONG!!!! but something is wrong.   help. . . all i wanna do is be a badass dual class fighter/mage one last time. . . . . full plate and packing steel. . . .

unreserved_Steve

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2008, 06:46:50 AM »
Download and install the 2.1.2 update: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/24610

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: