Author Topic: IEMI - Infinity Engine Modlist & Installer  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Lordrea

• Planewalker
    • Michael.Wallar.Net
IEMI - Infinity Engine Modlist & Installer
« on: March 29, 2008, 04:19:31 PM »
I've been working on a project, and Kulyok said that I should mention it over at other modding sites. So, here we go.

IEMI is a web-based tool for conflict-detection when using mega-mod installs. At the moment, however, it acts as a mod list. At the moment, the features are:
  • View mods by category, with multi-category support for mods. Category-view shows home page and forums.
  • Use AJAX on the category-view to fetch components and download mirrors.
  • Edit mod information, which includes: name, author, description, home page, forum, and category.
  • Add, remove, and edit download mirrors.
  • Reload components, which will take a WeiDU export and update the database.
  • Search by mod name, author, or description.
  • Any user can edit what they wish, as this is a community-open project.

To clear it up, the 'installation' process with using this tool would be:
  • Download and put the SMM Auto-DL/Install tool in your BG2 directory.
  • Use IEMI to select which mods you want to have installed - more specifically, you can select individual components rather than whole mods.
  • Run the web-based conflict detector, which will tell you what wont work, if anything, about your installation.
  • Run the XML generator, which will provide you with what to change your SMM XML file to.
  • Run the SMM Auto-DL/Install tool with the new XML, which will give you a file to plug into the download manager.
  • The download manager will go and download everything for you. Since the XML file is updated when you generate it, download locations are always up-to-date.
  • Run the SMM Auto-DL/Install tool again, and the program will backup everything, extract/install the files, then run the WeiDU installers on everything you said to install.

When this tool is complete, someone will be able to click on which mods, and more specifically, which components they want to install. Then the built-in mod conflict detector will check if something wont work. As with all the current features, all future work will be open to the public editing. All that has been developed was started on the 23rd of March. You can see development over [here].

What I would really appreciate are any feature requests, suggestions on how I may make the site better, etc.

IEMI: http://iem.rp-addict.com/index.php
IEMI SHS Topic: http://www.shsforums.net/index.php?s=&showtopic=27450&view=findpost&p=382465
IEMI G3 Topic: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=13757

Thanks for your time. :) Hope this will become something useful in the near future.

Oh, and I hope this is in the right forum. Not sure where I would put something like this.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 12:47:02 PM by Lordrea »

Offline Lordrea

• Planewalker
    • Michael.Wallar.Net
Re: IEMI - Infinity Engine Modlist & Installer
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
Topic updated to be less confusing on what it does.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: IEMI - Infinity Engine Modlist & Installer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 12:50:26 PM »
Sure. :) And, yes, it's the right forum - just the place.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: