Author Topic: installation issue with version 4 (MacOS)  (Read 4427 times)

Offline perricath

• Planewalker
  • How sybaritic of me!
installation issue with version 4 (MacOS)
« on: May 27, 2007, 03:50:26 AM »
I am cleansweeping and reinstalling for version 4 ( and because I'm finding conflicts so what better use of my time, right?)

using the install_Xan.command, I get:

/Applications/BGII - SoAToBreinstall/install_Xan.command: line 5: ./Setup-Xan: Permission denied
logout

help?

Perricath
"All is chaos under Heaven, and the situation is excellent." - Chairman Mao

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
Re: installation issue with version 4 (MacOS)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 04:04:53 AM »
Oooh, that's scary. You are using a Mac version, I take it? You were not editing the file at the time, or something?

I never worked with it, myself, because I have Windows. However, Gorilym, who hepled me with the Mac version, writes this in the readme:

To install, extract the contents of OSX-Xan_v4.zip into your BG2 folder. If properly extracted, you should have a Xan folder, Setup-Xan, and install_Xan.command in your BG2 folder. To install, double-click install_Xan.command.

Other than that, I could recommend you to ask at http://loriel.quixjote.com/forums/index.php - Mac forums for Infinity Engine, and they are highly accomplished at this sort of thing.

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 04:22:50 AM »
First thing to try: open the Terminal, type 'sudo' (sans quotes, followed by a space), drag install_Xan.command into the Terminal window, press enter, type an administrator password when prompted, and press enter again - installation should proceed. If you don't have an admin password and/or it just doesn't work, then I'll get back to you with a different fix.

Edit: come to think of it, I haven't really checked out the latest build (v4) yet. I'll do a test install now and see if the same error occurs.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 05:20:30 AM by Gorilym »

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 05:26:41 AM »
Test install went fine. This led me to believe that perricath's permission problem was the fault of whichever unpacking utility was used, and indeed, I was able to replicate her error after using Unarchiver to expand the Xan archive (expanding with StuffIt didn't result in any errors).

The complete fix / workaround (should cover this and similar issues):

1. Open the Terminal, type 'chmod +x' followed by a space, drag install_Xan.command into the window, press enter.
2. Type 'chmod 755' followed by a space, drag Setup-Xan into the window, press enter.
3. Double-click install_Xan.command, the installation process should now proceed.

Offline perricath

• Planewalker
  • How sybaritic of me!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:54:49 PM »
Thanks. Indeed chmodding worked. (sudo did not.)

And yes, I don't use stuffit. Icky piece of nasty software, that. It might be worth putting a note in the readme that Mac users should use stuffit to unpack rather than the apple utility.
"All is chaos under Heaven, and the situation is excellent." - Chairman Mao

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 12:55:27 AM »
Good to hear everything was well in the end. (I do get a small jolt each time I see "Problem" or "Issue" in the topic title. :) )

Eric P.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 02:46:44 PM »
What? StuffIt is getting a bad review? Unheard of! Well, I guess it all boils down to user experience. I've never known a better app for archiving/expanding things, going all the way back to System 7.5.5, when I switched from DiskDoubler to StuffIt. Only very rarely do I see StuffIt fail to properly extract a downloaded file, and that's usually because it was compressed improperly to begin with.

What other utilities are considered wonderful for use on the Mac, when it comes to compressing/decompressing files? I'm very interested to know :)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 01:45:04 AM »
I just got a report from Inside Source(SisterVigilante) that he had some problems, too. So I wonder: perhaps I, or, rather, someone more familiar with Mac computers in general, should repack the version somehow, so Mac users have an easier time?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: