Author Topic: New to mods, could use some help  (Read 4584 times)

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
New to mods, could use some help
« on: December 18, 2006, 04:59:15 PM »
Hello,
I could use some help in planning my run through the entire BG series with mods, as I have no relevant experience and don't want to mess anything up.

Here's what I would like to do:

* Play through BG1 and TotSC with Tutu.
* Continue on to BG2 and ToB with the following mods installed:
- Ascension
- Berserker Minsc
- Kivan
- Xan
- Underrepresented Items
- Flirtpack
- Unfinished Business (quest content only)

What would be the best way to go about doing this while ensuring that I don't experience any major problems? (i.e. crashes, incompatibilty et al)

Related questions:

1. Would I be able to start a new BG2 game if I install Tutu? How is BG2 'unlocked?'
2. Does Tutu add any NPCs to the start of BG2 from BG1?
3. What's the difference between EasyTutu (which I can't find btw) and regular?
4. Do I have to download Tutu first and then Enhancements or does Enhancement have everything I need?
5. Anything I may be overlooking?

I don't know if this is relevant but I use Windows XP HE.

As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: New to mods, could use some help
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 05:15:53 PM »
Hello -

1. Would I be able to start a new BG2 game if I install Tutu? How is BG2 'unlocked?'

EasyTutu creates a separate playable installation.  In practice, this means that BG2 continues to be available and function as it always did.

2. Does Tutu add any NPCs to the start of BG2 from BG1?

No, but there are some first rate options available for Tutu itself, such as Finch (hosted at this site).  G3's BG1NPC is also a hot ticket.

3. What's the difference between EasyTutu (which I can't find btw) and regular?

I linked it above.  Easier installation and the entire contents of the changelog, to be brief.  The EasyTutu page also goes into more detail, and there is a pinned EasyTutu thread in this forum that links to the FAQ.

4. Do I have to download Tutu first and then Enhancements or does Enhancement have everything I need?

I'm not sure what "Enhancements" is.  It isn't needed for Tutu, whatever it is.

5. Anything I may be overlooking?

Have fun?
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »
So then should I install all those mods made for BG2 after Tutu? Would the order make a difference? Should I update BG1, TotSC, BG2 or ToB after I install them?

Like I said... I don't know what I'm doing.

Edit: I am refering to Tutu Enhancements when I said 'Enhancements.' http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=134&Itemid=94

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 07:33:51 PM »
Hello -

So then should I install all those mods made for BG2 after Tutu? Would the order make a difference? Should I update BG1, TotSC, BG2 or ToB after I install them?

You should get EasyTutu installed prior to modding BG2.  Updating BG1 isn't necessary prior to EasyTutu installation; updating BG2 IS relevant.  Get that BG2 patch installed first.  All of this is covered on the main EasyTutu page -- I suggest giving it a readthrough.

Edit: I am refering to Tutu Enhancements when I said 'Enhancements.' http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=134&Itemid=94

Oh, gotcha.  Yes, knock yourself out there.  Install Tutu, and then pick anything from the list of Tutu mods there that sounds good to you.  Generally you'll find that any mod hosted here at PPG is of professional quality.  As for the order in which mods should be installed, you'll either need to ask in the forum(s) of the mods in which you are interested, or mention which mods specifically you are interested in here, and wait for some of your mod-savvy partners in crime to wander along and give you the benefit of their experience.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2006, 07:41:35 PM »
As far as Tutu mods and installation order, you may want to check out this list:
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 08:11:05 PM »
You should get EasyTutu installed prior to modding BG2.  Updating BG1 isn't necessary prior to EasyTutu installation; updating BG2 IS relevant.  Get that BG2 patch installed first.

Thanks.

All of this is covered on the main EasyTutu page -- I suggest giving it a readthrough.

I read it but a lot of things aren't clear to me.

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2006, 08:13:50 PM »
As far as Tutu mods and installation order, you may want to check out this list:
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122

Thanks for the link... although to be perfectly honest I'm having a tough time following it.

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2006, 08:48:43 PM »
Thanks for the link... although to be perfectly honest I'm having a tough time following it.
Yeah... we have it as a to-do to format it better for clarity, but unfortunately the forum code does not support tables.  Just try to follow the stuff for EasyTutu and Windows, since it also deals with normal Tutu and Mac info.  And if you have any questions, post them over there on that thread and we'll try to answer them.

Offline Azazello

• The Anti-Spammer
  • Planewalker
    • Azazello’s Music Profile at Last.fm
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 06:53:27 PM »
And if you didn't get enough help over here, make sure to check back at the responses people gave you in your thread over at SHS:
http://forums.spellholdstudios.net/index.php?showtopic=23622
Community Contributions
Level 1 NPCs * gMinion: expanded TP2 for MegaInstalls * PSM (PSQM): expanded scripts for Melanthium * non-detectable Cloak of Non-Detection ?? * Weimer's-Tactics: revised TP2 for MegaInstalls
========================================
"Deception has many faces. Truth...has only one."

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 07:42:32 PM »
Thanks man, I'll do that  :D

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 07:43:43 PM »
Hello -

You should get EasyTutu installed prior to modding BG2.  Updating BG1 isn't necessary prior to EasyTutu installation; updating BG2 IS relevant.  Get that BG2 patch installed first.  All of this is covered on the main EasyTutu page -- I suggest giving it a readthrough.

Oh, gotcha.  Yes, knock yourself out there.  Install Tutu, and then pick anything from the list of Tutu mods there that sounds good to you.  Generally you'll find that any mod hosted here at PPG is of professional quality.  As for the order in which mods should be installed, you'll either need to ask in the forum(s) of the mods in which you are interested, or mention which mods specifically you are interested in here, and wait for some of your mod-savvy partners in crime to wander along and give you the benefit of their experience.

Thank you, that helps me a lot.

Edit: Also, the EasyTutu page is great and explains a lot. I was just confused because I don't see a link to it from the main PPG site (only regular Tutu.) Thanks for the link.

Edit 2: Nevermind, I see it now from the regular Tutu page.  :-[
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 07:50:41 PM by Faerun »

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
Aza, you could learn a lot from Macready.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 11:02:48 PM »
Faerun, were you able to get your questions about the BG2 portion of your installation answered?

I know that there are certain components of different BG2 mods that are incompatible because they both try to fix the same things different ways, so you're going to want to read the details of the readme's and associated forums carefully. I can't tell you what they are, because I have to look it up myself every time I run a new installation.

Ascension is an older mod, as mods go, so you'll probably want to put that towards the front of your BG2 installation. But there are some very good BG2 installation guidelines elsewhere on this forum, although not on the Tutu board ;)

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 12:42:01 AM »
I read quite a bit and think they should be compatible. Got some helpful advice on order installation too. Thanks again. If I have any trouble I'll know where to go from now on.  8)

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2006, 06:49:34 PM »
FWIW, I don't see what's wrong with posing your question, especially as you did, at more than one community. We can be jaded and cynical modders at times, snarking over petty details, but I think this instance brings several items for consideration:

1) New, eager BG/BG2 players are Good.
2) Everyone is new to IE Modding once.
3) It's always better that someone asks their questions about IE mods where they think they might get a helpful answer than silently give up and not play.
4) Just because a question has been answered before, that does not equate a new arrival recognizing the relvancy to their issue or understanding what that answer means. Case in point is Ghreyfain's NPC-making tutorial. I personally find his tutorial straightforward, but not everyone does. Some people require the details explained from a different POV before the process clicks for them. "Read X" may help, but it's not always good enough.

Welcome, Faerun. I hope you have fun playing.  :-yin
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2006, 06:57:11 PM »
I can think of one very good reason for posting on more than one forum: most people use mods hosted by several different ones! Where would someone go, if not to the place where one of the mods called home?

Sure, it's usually easiest to go to the home of the biggest mod, but sometimes, the little tricky ones need special attention ;)

For every person that asks a question, there are probably three that either have thought about asking it or will ask it at some point in the future. If the answer is there, even in duplicate, it hurts no one.

Offline Faerun

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2006, 03:57:38 AM »
This place is a lot nicer than SHS.  :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: