Author Topic: Crash when entering the Copper Coronet.  (Read 3976 times)

Dream

Crash when entering the Copper Coronet.
« on: August 27, 2006, 12:13:42 PM »
I just installed Questpack (and a dozen or so other mod's), but I can't for the life of me enter the Copper Coronet.

The game saves, the game loads, but before it reaches the end it crashes to desktop. No idea why.

This is what I installed, in this order:
SoA
ToB
Patch
Baldurdash Fixpack
G3Fix
DOTweak
Apack
Oversight
AoE
ItemUpgrade
Banterpack
Flirtpack
Kelsey
Improved Battles
Tactics
UBusiness
G3Anniversary
Questpack
EaseofUse
Refinements
TBQuest

Now, why come here you ask? Firstly, because the modifications made to the CC are either Tactics, or Questpack. I've installed these mods before, and even in this order, but somehow I can't enter the CC in my last two tries (yes, I uninstalled and reinstalled everything). Second, because I consider you guys wise.

Anyway, thoughts, people?

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
Re: Crash when entering the Copper Coronet.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 02:41:01 PM »
I had the same problem. It seems to be caused by the Illithium quest from UB, since it was solved by uninstalling that component.

Dream

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 03:32:56 PM »
Ouch, I installed that somewhere in the middle. Not good... That means a complete reinstall I fear. :(

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 03:48:55 PM »
I think so, judging from the mods you have installed over it. I managed to avoid disaster when uninstalling it, but then, I had it slightly closer to the top...

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 02:05:22 AM »
Darn it. I'm getting the same thing, which is even more odd, because I've *done* the extended illithium quest with quest pack before. And there is no way I'm going to be able to uninstall without a full reinstall, which greatly applies suction.

Well, I can live without the extended illithium quest. It's cool, but I've done it before. I'm not going to do without QP entirely, because I like the option of saving Sanik. But I'm peeved, because QP was one of the first things installed after Ascension and an NPC mod.

I've heard there were some problems with Suna Seni and the Copper Coronet, so maybe I'd better skip that component, too. Yes, I realize that Suna Seni in the Copper Coronet is actually part of UB, but I have been given to understand that can cause CTD too.

My big thing is: why was it working before, but not now?

The only difference between this install and last install is that I swapped IA for IU to see how I liked IA. Maybe I'll go back to IU and see how that works out.

Offline Raven_Song

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 02:31:13 AM »

I've got both UB and the Quest Pack installed and touch wood I've never had any problems with the Copper Coronet. (I have Quest Pack installed before UB).

Also Dream you might want to check what versions of mods you are using and the readme for the g3 fix packs because

The G3 Fixpack is incompatible with AoE (as ofv26) and Item Upgrade (as v32)
 and it incorporates Baldurdash, Oversight, Ease of Use and DOTweak. I don't know if this might be causing you problems.

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 08:18:22 AM »
I've heard there were some problems with Suna Seni and the Copper Coronet, so maybe I'd better skip that component, too. Yes, I realize that Suna Seni in the Copper Coronet is actually part of UB, but I have been given to understand that can cause CTD too.

The Valygar / Suna Seni component of UB will cause crashes in the Copper Coronet when combined with the BG2Fixpack, (but most likely only on Macs) through no fault of its own, but because of buggy changes made by the fixpack to Suna Seni's Arbane sword - this is fixed for the next version (http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=7157&st=45). If you're not using a Mac, then it's probably a different problem.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 08:41:36 AM »
No, I'm using Windows XP.

But the party has already encountered Suna Seni in the Docks, and the random encounter where we got Arbane's Sword, and nothing bad has happened.

I already knew about the conflict between AoE and G3 Fixpack, which is why I altered Anomen's .cre file beforehand. Also, this installation has been stable for quite some time, which is why it's especially puzzling. I've got Anomen in the party in another savegame, and he's just fine.

Hang on a second. I'm not sure if I took a look at Anomen's file after installing IA. Maybe I'd better do that before trashing my installation. Anyway, this would be an inappropriate forum for those issues, so I'll just carry on.

Maybe it's Celile? Or maybe I should just go back to an installation I knew worked and take it from there.

But thanks for the advice.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 08:46:28 AM »
No, I'm using Windows XP.

But the party has already encountered Suna Seni in the Docks, and the random encounter where we got Arbane's Sword, and nothing bad has happened.

I already knew about the conflict between AoE and G3 Fixpack, which is why I altered Anomen's .cre file beforehand. Also, this installation has been stable for quite some time, which is why it's especially puzzling. I've got Anomen in the party in another savegame, and he's just fine.

Hang on a second. I'm not sure if I took a look at Anomen's file after installing IA. Maybe I'd better do that before trashing my installation. Anyway, this would be an inappropriate forum for those issues, so I'll just carry on.

No. I'm just a dolt. I forgot to double check Anomen after installing IA, and guess what! When I checked his inventory, there were his longsword and crossbow, sitting side by side in his inventory.

Well, sorry about the false alarm folks. It seems I don't have to trash my installation after all. Yay!

Offline seanas

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 10:13:40 AM »

No. I'm just a dolt. I forgot to double check Anomen after installing IA, and guess what! When I checked his inventory, there were his longsword and crossbow, sitting side by side in his inventory.

sorry, can i just confirmation on this: the Copper Coronet CTD was being caused by changes made to Anomen's cre file by the Improved Anvil mod? there have been a number of ppl on the BP boards recently describing new crashes when entering the Copper Coronet - it would make my life easier if there was a culprit i could point them towards uninstalling.
"those who like TDD are already busy giving install advice to newbies" - the bigg

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 10:35:08 AM »
I haven't uninstalled anything. I just deleted his crossbow from his quick weapon slot. I'm going to check it in a moment to see if it works.

I understand that you are trying to save people a lot of frustration, but I am reluctant to point the finger at IA or anything else at this point. I know IA makes some changes to Anomen's .cre. At this point, that looks like the likely cause.

A few minutes later:
Confirmed by a quick test run I just did. I edited Anomen's .cre file, and I still got the crash.

There is definitely a couple mods that aren't playing nice. But, like I said, this is not the forum to talk about IA. It was an experiment. I wanted to see if it would play nice with some favorite mods. I'm going to switch forums.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 04:39:34 PM »
Just a quick followup on my last post.

QP is exonerated completely, as I did a full uninstall/reinstall without IA, and was able to enter the CC just fine.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: