Author Topic: Still encountering problems while installing EasyTutu  (Read 3035 times)

Offline pomi87

• Planewalker
Still encountering problems while installing EasyTutu
« on: July 12, 2006, 11:24:46 AM »
Hi!

Yeah... I hate to tell you that I still get that same error message even with this new version. :(

I hoped that this update would solve my problem but it didn't. It was nice thing to do to try fix my problem with that new version and I really appreciate your work but it's pity that I can't test it myself.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 11:37:19 AM by pomi87 »

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Still encountering problems while installing EasyTutu
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 11:35:58 AM »
Hello -

Hi!

Yeah... I hate to tell you that I get that same error message even with this new version. :(

I hoped that this update would solve my problem but it didn't. It was nice thing to do to try fix my problem with that new version and I really appreciate your work but it's pity that I cannot test it myself.

Ugh, I really hate to hear that.  Unfortunately I now think we are in the realm of a problem I cannot replicate on my machine, which makes it much harder to solve.  Hopefully someone else will give the latest version a try so I can get a sense of whether this problem is particular to you, or if that part of the installation simply does not work outside of the little sandbox I set up in order to test it.

A question, if I might.  After all the file copying takes place, are you seeing a little window pop up which reads something like "Patch in progress, please wait..." ?  As that program works, it throws up a series of dots to let you know it is doing something...six sets in all.  So, as it is performing the last little bit of wrok, it will look like:

Patch in progress, please wait ...

Six sets of dots.  Are you seeing any of this?  The patch window, and if so, is it progressing by throwing up the little dots?  Knowing this will at least give me some sense of where the process is breaking down for you.

Thanks.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline pomi87

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 11:59:06 AM »
Hi!

I do get that little window saying "Patch in progress, please wait..." but it hangs there and no dots appear.
Then it disappears (whole window) and I get that "BG1 resource mismatch! Cannot continue!" -error message.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:40:36 PM »
Hello -

I do get that little window saying "Patch in progress, please wait..." but it hangs there and no dots appear.
Then it disappears (whole window) and I get that "BG1 resource mismatch! Cannot continue!" -error message.

How long does it hang?  Also, how much memory does your computer have?  Sorry for the twenty questions game, but I'm just trying to collect as much information as possible.  You've already told me enough to confirm that the problem I fixed yesterday was different than your own: in my case the problem occurred at the very end of the patch process (around the sixth set of dots).

Offline pomi87

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 01:25:31 PM »
Hi!

How long does it hang?

It hangs about 5 seconds and then just disappears.

how much memory does your computer have

1024 mb

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 01:56:03 PM »
Hello -

I believe I may have found what the installer is mad about.

If what you said here is true, then the installer is aborting after checking the MD5 sums of certain key BG1 resource files.  So, I decided to revist your files.txt email and really pore over it.  I did encounter one significant discrepancy:

12.01.1999  15:00        48ÿ561ÿ115 SFXSound.bif

... is what your emailed file reported for SFXSound.bif.

When checking my version of the original BG1's SFXSound.bif, I found the following file info:

12/10/1998   49,129,295

I am willing to bet this is the MD5 check that is failing.  Such a supposition is substantiated by your observation that it takes about 5 seconds for the error to occur -- that is consistent with where the check of that file appears in the overall order.

Are you by any chance using a foreign language version of BG1?  I am trying to figure out why your copy of this file would be different from what I have.

Offline pomi87

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 02:34:42 PM »
Hi!

12.01.1999  15:00        48ÿ561ÿ115 SFXSound.bif

... is what your emailed file reported for SFXSound.bif.

Yep thats it. Strange that your file is different and it's even created earlier than my SFXSound.bif.  ???

Are you by any chance using a foreign language version of BG1?

No my Baldur's Gate is english version (I can't choose different language while installing), by the way it's not the original release but PC Best Buy release.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 02:37:02 PM by pomi87 »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 02:59:29 PM »
I thought that maybe this had something to do with TotSC/non-TotSC, but when I checked my sfxsound.bif, it comes to be 48,628,181 bytes. I expect that throws things into further disarray. Ouch.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 03:13:18 PM »
Hello -

Yep thats it. Strange that your file is different and it's even created earlier than my SFXSound.bif.  ???

No my Baldur's Gate is english version (I can't choose different language while installing), by the way it's not the original release but PC Best Buy release.

OK, evidently that release is different.  Unfortunately, I am directly manipulating some of these game resources during the no-TotSC installation process, and I really do need to enforce the requirement that the file be what I am expecting it to be.  I really hope some more BG1-only people weigh in with their experience so I can see which version of the file is the "common" one.

I'd love to get my hands on your copy of the file so I can poke and prod it a bit, but I am not sure of an easy way to exchange a file of that size.  If it was me to you, I'd just host it on my web site.  But going from you to me is a bit more difficult.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 03:13:45 PM »
Hello -

I thought that maybe this had something to do with TotSC/non-TotSC, but when I checked my sfxsound.bif, it comes to be 48,628,181 bytes. I expect that throws things into further disarray. Ouch.

No, that is expected.  Your SFXSound is either a TOS one, or a post-TotSC one.  It matches my own TOS version of that file.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 04:10:27 PM »
Hello -

I'd love to get my hands on your copy of the file so I can poke and prod it a bit, but I am not sure of an easy way to exchange a file of that size.  If it was me to you, I'd just host it on my web site.  But going from you to me is a bit more difficult.

I just created a ftp account for you on my server.  I'll PM the login details, if you are willing to send me your copy of SFXSound.bif.

Offline pomi87

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 04:59:25 PM »
Hi!

Thank you for doing that but I have my own web site so I already uploaded it there :)

Here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/pomi87/SFXSound/SFXSound.bif

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 05:24:52 PM »
Hello -

Thank you for doing that but I have my own web site so I already uploaded it there :)

Here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/pomi87/SFXSound/SFXSound.bif

Awesome, thanks.  I'll report back later.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 06:13:21 PM »
Hello -

OK, there isn't anything particularly strange about your version of this file (aside from the fact that it is different from both the original release BG1 version *and* the TOS/TotSC version).  I should be able to dynamically sense which one I am dealing with and act appropriately.

I'll have something for you to try tomorrow.  I'll post it privately and then PM you a link.  Before you try installing again, please delete whatever folder you were attempting to install to (default is C:\Program Files\BaldursGateTutu) using My Computer or Windows Explorer.

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 07:56:47 PM »
Hello -

OK, I decided to dispense with the super secret hidden update and just distribute this release publicly.  Like the previous version, it tested fine in the sandbox, and it now includes support for the alternate version of SFXSound.bif, thanks to your help.  Anyway, it's now available on the EasyTutu page.

Offline pomi87

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 09:06:59 AM »
Hi!

All problems are gone! I'm not getting that error message and EasyTutu installed just fine.

Thank you for going all this trouble. I can't describe how grateful I am. :)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 09:14:45 AM »
Hello -

Hi!

All problems are gone! I'm not getting that error message and EasyTutu installed just fine.

Thank you for going all this trouble. I can't describe how grateful I am. :)

Well, you know, that's why it's called EasyTutu.  Because it's so easy.  This only took, what?  Three days?  I mean, if it took a week or something that wouldn't have been so easy.  But this?  Easy.  So very very easy.

Seriously, I'd like to thank you as well.  It's been like pulling teeth getting any kind of useful feedback on this no-TotSC work, and posting that huge file for me to look at was really going the extra mile.  So thanks in return.

Please do pop in and let me know if anything weird happens in game.  Generally speaking, I coded the no-TotSC patching extremely strictly so that if and when the installer completed successfully, you should pretty much be assured of a stable game.  But then, that business with the odd BIFF file was completely unexepected -- I hope none of the area BIFFs in your distribution of BG1 have similar discrepancies.

Anyway, have fun.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: