Author Topic: Some Fixes To Tutufix v15 Bugs  (Read 17141 times)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Some Fixes To Tutufix v15 Bugs
« on: December 20, 2005, 09:17:26 PM »
EDIT: I lost all of these fixes due to a hard disk issue with my web host.  They are no longer available to be downloaded.  My apologies.

Hello -

I am running through Tutu again, and I'm finding some odds and ends that are broken.  For anything I am capable of fixing, I'll do it and then post the fixed files here.  Be sure to back up your original file(s) before using these fixes, use them at your own risk, yada yada.

The best time to apply these updates is immediately after installing Tutu and the Tutufix core bug fixes, and before installing any more mods.

All of these fixes are already included in the latest version of EasyTutu.

Temple of Bhaal Crash / Ending Movie Doesn't Play / No Experience From Killing Sarevok

This fix is a "one size fits all" script update which should correct any and all of the following problems:

* The game crashes when you try to enter the undercity Temple of Bhaal (typically happens when TotSC is not installed)
* The ending movie doesn't play after killing Sarevok
* You receive no experience from killing Sarevok

To address these issues, place the following file in your Tutu override folder:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/pubfiles/_AR0125.BCS

Friendly Arm Nobleman Does Not Give Pantaloons / Pantaloons Don't Import to BG2

If you are finding to your disappointment that your attempts to scam the Friendly Arm nobleman out of his pantaloons are resulting in him saying that he's giving them to you to clean without actually giving them to you, OR you want to make sure that the pantaloons given to you by the nobleman will import correctly into BG2**, place the following file into your Tutu override folder:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/pubfiles/_NOBL9.CRE

** Please note that you must have the pantaloons in your inventory, and not in a bag of holding, at the time you finish the game in order for BG2 to find them when it imports your Tutu final save.  Furthermore, you must start your BG2 game using the New Game option, and not the Tutorial, in order for the pantaloons to carry over.  Finally, this fix must be applied prior to visiting the Friendly Arm Inn for the first time in your current game, or else it will have no effect (until you start a new game, anyway).

Where's Scar?

This fix is for a bug that originates in BG1 itself, and is not the fault of Tutu.  It is not uncommon for the player to be assigned a quest by Scar, and then find him missing when it is time to visit him for the quest reward.  This occurs when the player visits Duke Eltan and accepts his Iron Throne quest while Scar quests are still pending.  Evidently, the Bioware developers didn't intend for you to visit Duke Eltan until Scar summons you to him, because Eltan's dialog script issues a command to Scar to go away.  This is an appropriate imperative when all of the Scar quests have been completed, but is obviously undesirable if the player still has business with Scar.

This fix alters the area script for the Flaming Fist compound such that Eltan's quarters on the second floor are inaccessible until the player has concluded his or her business with Scar (either by completing all of his quests, or declining to undertake them).  Once Scar informs the player that he wishes to discuss the Iron Throne with him or her (the prelude to Eltan's quest), Eltan's quarters become accessible.  I believe this fix is in line with the original intentions of the Bioware developers (i.e., that the meeting with Eltan be withheld until Scar sets it up), and it should prevent Scar from disappearing when the player has pending business with him.  Please note that this update will not fix situations in which Scar has already gone missing; rather, it will prevent it from happening.

This fix also alters the dialog script for the Flaming Fist mercenary at the bottom of Eltan's stairs so that he no longer invites the player to go upstairs and talk to Eltan.  Now, this mercenary will say nothing to the player.  EasyTutu expands upon this update such that the mercenary gives appropriate dialog to the player (an exhortation to go deal with Scar if Scar quests are still pending, and an invitation upstairs once the player has initiated the Eltan quest).  The update as it is presented here does not include the new dialog so as to avoid creating DIALOG.TLK related issues.

To apply this update, unzip the following file into your Tutu override folder:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/pubfiles/scar.zip

Permanently Held by a Ghoul

If you are finding that the hold effect caused by being on the receiving end of a hit from a ghoul is lasting forever, place the following file to your Tutu override folder.  Please note that this fix WILL NOT remove an already existing perma-hold; to do that, you'll need to remove the effect with Shadowkeeper, or fall back on an earlier save.  What the fix will do is prevent it from occurring in the future.

http://www.usoutpost31.com/pubfiles/_GHOUL1.ITM
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:28:16 AM by Macready »
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
G3 Tutu Tweaks v16 Icon Improvements Fixes
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 02:47:12 PM »
Moved content to first post in thread.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:15:19 AM by Macready »

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
Re: Some Fixes To Tutufix v15 Bugs
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 03:41:50 AM »
Hello Macready!

Thank you very much for helping with bugs and fixes.

I was wondering: couldn't you just inform the authors directly via PM about what you found out and how you fixed it ? In that case in the next version of those mods we might see those bugs finally gone!

Thanks again for sharing this with us!  ;)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 08:02:03 AM »
I was wondering: couldn't you just inform the authors directly via PM about what you found out and how you fixed it ? In that case in the next version of those mods we might see those bugs finally gone!

Thanks again for sharing this with us!  ;)

Hi Salk -

Although I am happy to discuss anything I've touched, the authors of the Tutu and G3 mods are much, much better at this than I am.  I am basically a hack with almost no knowledge of WeiDU at all.  Almost everything I've posted thus far has either been an incredibly simple fix, or originally figured out by someone else.  So I doubt there is much I can tell the authors of such comprehensive mods that they don't already know. :)  I did bring up the icon thing at the G3 forum and I think they've already fixed it for the next version (although the file I've posted will fix you up in the meantime).

I mainly wanted to get that temple of Bhaal crash fix posted, and once I started nibbling at other minor issues, it seemed reasonable to just collect everything in one thread.  Think of them as a stopgap measure to help ease the wait for Tutu6. :)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 04:26:38 PM »
Hello -

I changed the pantaloons fix, see my edited notes in the first post of this thread.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Shield Spell Consistency
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005, 01:14:02 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:15:36 AM by Macready »

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005, 02:57:22 PM »
I think that the pantaloons may still not export correctly into BG2 via tutu's final save...
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005, 03:22:24 PM »
I think that the pantaloons may still not export correctly into BG2 via tutu's final save...

Well, I haven't tested it because I'm not that far.  But it seems like the Tutufix authors were attempting to patch the Friendly Arm nobleman such that he possesses (and gives away) the BG2 version of the pantaloons (MISC47.ITM) instead of the Tutu version (_MISC47.ITM).  This attempted patch was partly successful (nobleman still possesses _MISC47 but his script attempts to give you MISC47, hence the problem of not receiving anything).  By editing his CRE file and giving him the MISC47 version of the pantaloons, the original attempt to patch him is completed, and he does in fact give you the BG2 version of the pantaloons.  To my knowledge, this is true for the first time in the history of Tutu (unless that patching code worked in the past but stopped working due to code rot).

In sum, using this update represents your best chance of having them carry over. :)  When I finish the game (no time soon, I just pick at it in my spare time), I'll report back with the results.

EDIT: I just imported my current save into BG2.  Worked fine, the pantaloons imported and were behind the painting in that first golem room.  Yay!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2005, 03:38:07 PM by Macready »

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2005, 06:06:03 PM »
That's great news
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Invisibility Duration Issue
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2005, 07:43:05 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:15:53 AM by Macready »

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Shield Spell Consistency
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2005, 05:53:50 AM »
Hello -

This one doesn't count as a bug, but rather an inconsistency between BG1 and BG2 with regard to the first level wizard spell "Shield."  In BG2, this spell provides total immunity to magic missiles in addition to the AC bump.  In BG1 and Tutu, it does not provide that immunity.  I learned this the hard way after Imoen had drawn out all of Silke's lightning bolts and had her to the point of casting magic missiles.  My sorcerer cast Shield, emerged smugly from hiding, and was promptly killed.  "Why did he look so smug about being killed?", Silke surely asked herself.

If you would prefer your Shield spell to behave in the BG2 fashion (i.e., include magic missile immunity), place the following file into your Tutu override folder:

http://www.usoutpost31.com/pubfiles/SPWI114.SPL

I don't have editing tools where I am now so can't check, but: does the Tutu version not have the effects on the spell to grant immunity or does it specify an incorrect immunity?

It sounds like a change that could go in the Fixpack/Tweak Pack.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Re: Shield Spell Consistency
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 08:03:56 AM »
Hello -

I don't have editing tools where I am now so can't check, but: does the Tutu version not have the effects on the spell to grant immunity or does it specify an incorrect immunity?

It sounds like a change that could go in the Fixpack/Tweak Pack.

No immunity attempted at all.  I checked my vanilla BG: TOS installation, and it's the same.  It's possible that an installation of the original 5 CD BG might include the immunity -- I have found at least one spell whose implementation differs between original 5 CD BG and BG: TOS.  So anyway, if you are going to code it you might want to check for the immunity before patching (if that isn't too painful to do in WeiDU) to account for potential differences in BG1 installations.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2005, 03:11:09 PM »
Macready,

over at G3's I believe there is a private forum where a BG1 Fixpack's worked on (perhaps very slowly now) and it should be Idobek's leading this. Perhaps it would be good to report what you believe are inconsistencies/bugs there once that there will be a official announcement (which I hope will be just after releasing BG2 fixpack sometimes in spring)...

My suggestion is for avoiding wasting important discoveries that might be a useful contribution... ;)

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2005, 08:59:29 PM »
Hello -

over at G3's I believe there is a private forum where a BG1 Fixpack's worked on (perhaps very slowly now)

Well, a BG1 fixpack isn't in their dev wiki, so I think you might be overly optimistic about this, at least in terms of the present. :)

My suggestion is for avoiding wasting important discoveries that might be a useful contribution... ;)

I wouldn't say anything is wasted.  These are just a handful of little nitpicks and tweaks.  And besides, the BG scene is truly a community -- it's always the same names one sees at the various forums.  The prolific modders make the rounds just like everyone else, and this thread (along with many others at many forums) is easily accessible for idea mining (or whatever).

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
Protection from Petrification Inconsistency
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2005, 02:36:47 PM »
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 08:16:13 AM by Macready »

Khalaq

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2005, 10:01:39 PM »
I wasn't able to find a better place to post this, so forgive me if it should have been somewhere else.

I decided to reinstall BG1 (6 CD's, with TotSC) and BG2 (5 CD's with ToB) and try using Tutu. I did the Baldurdash preliminaries for both BG1 and BG2, installed Tutu, and then tried to install TutuFix (version 15). But Tutufix crashed while trying to install the core fixes.  Specifically, it complained of...

ERROR: Failure("resource [_Narrat.cre] not found for 'COPY'")

Bummer... (

Any comments/suggestions?

-Khalaq

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 03:59:07 AM »
You're using the Dudleyfixes with TuTu and some are not compatible. I have verified some of them personally and here I write those files that you don't have to install when you use Dudleyfixes:

- Fixpack 1: Override Files

Of these files you must avoid copying the following: AR1800.BCS, FIREB1.DLG, HULL.DLG (they will either stop TuTu installation or crash the game)

- Fixpack2: Dialog.tlk Update

You can install this one without any problem

- Fixpack3: Music Files

- Fixpack4: Scripts

-Fixpack5: Mission Pack Save Game Update

You can also install Dudleyville's Tweak like I did. It never caused me any trouble when I tried them. If you are not familiar with the Fixpack order above, then check www.dudleyville.net! Good luck!  ;)

« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 04:34:28 PM by Salk »

Khalaq

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 10:27:30 AM »
Well, my guess is that I'm missing a file that was supposed to be copied over from the CD's.  Since I haven't heard anything to the contrary, and since I have no way of find the file on the CD, I've decided to go ahead and delete everything so that I can reinstall BG2 and ToB.  I am hoping that will solve the problem of TutuFix not finding whatever file it was looking for.

-Khalaq

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006, 12:12:14 PM »
Khalaq,

have you read my post above ? Did you install Dudleyfixes on your BG1 game before running TuTu ? Because the missing _narrat.cre error is a typical error of Dudleyfixes...

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
New Addition
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006, 01:56:17 PM »
Hello -

I expanded upon the Shield spell consistency tweak (above) to include the Shield Amulet.

Khalaq

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006, 11:11:52 PM »
Khalaq,

have you read my post above ? Did you install Dudleyfixes on your BG1 game before running TuTu ? Because the missing _narrat.cre error is a typical error of Dudleyfixes...

Yes, I read your post above.  Yes, I installed Dudleyfixes on my BG1 game before running Tutu.  The instructions for Tutu tell you to install the Dudleyfixes before installing Tutu.  And, having done that, I couldn't figure out a way to undo the mess.  Apparently, nobody else could, either.  So, I uninstalled everything, and, when I have the time, I'll try reinstalling it again, sometime.

-Khalaq

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 04:17:22 AM »
Khalaq,

actually Dudleyville's fixpacks are officially NOT RECOMMENDED for TuTu at all! I have been experimenting some and isolated some files that cause CTD or conversion problems.

So for the casual player, it's much better to avoid the installation of the fixpack 1 (the one that goes to override) because among the many compatible fixes (almost all) there might be some that do not work with TuTu (especially in the area of .bcs/.dlg section)...

Good luck for the future!

Offline Galilee

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2006, 04:18:51 AM »
o-O. Did you check those all yourself? Damn, you are dedicated ;) .
Currently playing:
World of Warcraft with a lvl 4X gnome warlock.
Baldur's Gate TuTu v6/v16b.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2006, 08:17:08 AM »
Hello -

I reorganized the thread so that all fixes/tweaks are documented and linked in the first post.

Khalaq

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2006, 09:24:50 AM »
And just in case it wasn't said clearly enough up above, I'd like to thank you all again for the nice work you've done.

-Khalaq

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: